Featured Bizarrely Retro Sterling Silver Ring - Eagle Head Hallmark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Every so often, I come across an awesome piece of jewelry I don't even have the words to describe. In this case, it was this huge sterling silver ring that protrudes from the finger like half an eggshell. It is actually hallmarked on the inner band (I can't discern the hallmarks with my loupe, except for the 925 one) and on the outer band (left-facing eagle head over 925 and a second indistinct maker's mark). I'd love thoughts on the age and origin. I searched for Mexican hallmarks, but the eagle head doesn't look like the eagle hallmark.
    IMG_4222 (3).JPG IMG_4221 (2).JPG IMG_4220 (2).JPG

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's more art than ring !!! nice find!

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thanks! Part of me thinks it is hideous, but the other part of me loves it. I'd hate to be hit by a hand wearing this.

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I usually go to https://www.925-1000.com/ when I am lost about a silver mark. There is a forum under the resources where you can ask for help. They will need a decent photo of the mark or at least a drawing. I have similar dome style rings made by William Spratling, Taxco.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is an unusual ring, Barn. Could you take photos of the eagle mark and the indistinct mark?
    Agree, Spratling made dome rings, but I have never seen one with that unusual crazing, and the Spratling dome isn't that high. And they have a Spratling mark, of course.

Spratling dome rings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

It would be helpful to see a photo of the mark. There was a Taxco artist that used eagle head facing left. I want to say it was something like Victoria? Yes the intentional crazing design is modernist and different from the Spratling Rings.

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Someone was bored and used the tip of a metal nail file to scratch the lines on the ring.

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Phanikin13

Phanikin13 Member

That is gorgeous. Following...

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

You can find similar new production Mexican silver dome rings,as well as older, and I'd also question whether the decoration is original. The 'eagle-head' mark is just an indication of being made in Mexico, often found combined with 'Hecho en Mexico', and it's found on various items, not just silver or alpacca...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted