Black ceramic Japanese decoration ID, & pottery pitcher ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, Jul 3, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Both of these items are probably not even worth researching, but have become a little mystery that I would like to solve.....before taking them to donate.:D
    #1, a black ceramic (?) Japanese decorated dish with lid. I can't find the mark anywhere. I've tried many different variations of what I think it reads with no luck. Is the mark Norwegian? Stands about 6" high with lid.
    #2 A rough condition pottery pitcher (no breaks, but very badly stained). Marked Foreign, and #901. There is an impressed mark that I cannot make out. I can't even see it's there unless I hold it in just the right light/angle. Anyone recognize it? stands about 10 1/8" high.
    Thanks for your time. Would just like to figure these out, so I can put them to pasture!
    DSCN1829.JPG DSCN1830.JPG DSCN1836.JPG DSCN1837.JPG DSCN1839.JPG DSCN1842.JPG DSCN1841.JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

Well I'll be darned SIS, thank you! That was some great sleuthing.:kiss: I've been looking for about a week now on and off and never found that. The mark certainly looks the same....other than the top word, which looks to have worn away on my piece. I thought the words started with "L", so I was looking at "levres", which I thought was Norwegian :wideyed: Oops! I wonder who made them?, and why it would be cobalt (kobalt)...(on a black piece). Unless that's a makers name? The elderly woman that I got it from at a yard sale said "oh that's from Japan".

4. tyeldom3

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

HANK---? HANKOUK, HANKOCH? Dunno. I'm thinking European (maybe Germany) for the Stile Sevres one.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

Thanks Wendy! Every time it look at it, I come up with different letters....I've tried everything I can think of. Weird! I'll try your suggestions.:kiss:

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Probably a long shot, but since "Stile Sevres" literally translates from the Italian to Sevres Style maybe "Walter" on the PGP Board (sorry, GROUP) has a thought?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

Walter is here now too:joyful:

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ooops! I'd better keep up! Sorry about that...............

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. tyeldom3

Thank you SIS, and Mansons.:kiss::cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted