Black Clear Prong Set Rhinestone Pierced Earring Pair

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 23, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The "who" would be nice, but I'm not really expecting it. There are other questions. How do I describe earrings like this? Pierced? Stick? Is there a proper name for those retainer thingies on the sticks? Most importantly: does it matter if those things are mismatched (as in this case)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those are lovely! The straight part that goes through an ear piercing is called a "post."

As for the "retainers," they are called "backs." I find that the ones shaped as in the lower picture can be harder to get properly lined up with the post when putting them on.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

They look better if the backs match.
    And it looks like the earrings are gold tone, so the backs should also be gold tone.

Stores with craft/beading supplies usually sell packages of backs. Me personally, I'm with Bakers. But I also like the added round plastic to support the weight of the earring.

Do an image search for earring backs and you will see what I'm talking about.

If you are going to start selling jewelry, it is good to have a supply of these on hand in both silver and gold tone.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've already discovered that posts come in different gages and not all backs fit all posts.

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

When listing the item specifics in eBay choose "Butterfly" as the fastening. Also referred to as push back and friction (which I always mention in the description).

Oh, and you may want to check the post for markings - I know it sounds ridiculous when there is so much other "meat" to mark, but jewelery houses like to mark the posts for some reason ..............

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Crescent or half moon hoops would be a good description.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Good information. Thank you.

8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh, I know too much about this subject - how embarrassing! The current "style" name for these is "huggie" or Huggies" - again choose that in item specifics..................slinks off to corner blushing.................

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Anything's better than "arced". Huggies it is. (checked the posts... found nothing)

10. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

Using huggies ought to also attract an additional audience - those looking for disposable diapers...LOL

11. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Huggies? Well that's a new term to add to my jewelry vocabulary!

Draft saved Draft deleted