Featured Black dot paste brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Apr 23, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I followed this listing on eBay as I thought the brooch looked interesting. It sold for £100 with plenty of bids ( I didn’t buy it!) and I am interested as to why it made a good price when many others that are similar go for much less.
    Does the black dot mean high quality, did the bidders think it was special for some reason? or is it a sought after design or age?
    Described only as silver? Paste and black dot brooch with slightly out of focus photos as below.
    Just interested to learn, Thankyou for looking :)
    B8CE61E6-4172-4C6E-AA31-F9350AC7CD56.jpeg 28FD7E17-85BA-457A-A002-1EBEE72B573A.jpeg 3EB6B6B7-AC55-4470-ADA8-23EACAFF8CCE.jpeg 502DCB9B-BCB0-444A-8730-BE18237A7C9D.jpeg 79D58C02-AA29-48E7-B590-73B891AD0BCB.jpeg

Lucille.b, judy, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Knowing nothing about jewelry, the back looks more interesting than the front. The selling price makes me scratch head, too. Would setting new stones into it make this worth the effort?

Lucille.b, judy and KSW like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Knowing only a very little, black dot paste gems are collectible & this little brooch could be in the neighborhood of 200 years old.

kyratango, stracci, Lucille.b and 7 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Never heard of these, did a quick Ebay search "black dot brooch", sorted highest first and BINGO, "black dot" brooches have a very nice following. :cool: Most are listed as "Georgian", if correct. And price on this one actually seems fair.

Another thing to keep an eye out for. Thank you KSW!

stracci, Bronwen, judy and 8 others like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That explains it. Thankyou :)

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s why I love this forum, so much to learn!.
    You and me both :pompous:

Bronwen, Lucille.b, Tanya and 4 others like this.
  8. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

That's a very informative link, Roaring20s, and many thanks to KSW for starting a fascinating little thread! :)

KSW, Bronwen, Lucille.b and 6 others like this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Wow. I might still have a couple of black dot paste brooches. Did not know what they were called. I'd better do some research!

KSW, Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They're old as dirt, to quote @evelyb30 ;)

Highly collectible.

Mind you, Ebay prices seem mad here at the moment. I'm watching a couple of lovelies, but I suspect they'll go for a lot.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted