Featured Black hinged bracelet.. what is it made of ? TIA

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Xristina, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Hello all,

This bracelet was part of a lot and advertised as ebonite.. but I'm not sure, it looks more like a bracelet from the '60s to me. It's failed the test for bakelite, so it's not that. I've tested it on unglazed tile and I'm more confused that at the beginning... Is the hinge a clue to possibly date it ? Thank you for your feedback. :)
    IMG_8019.JPG IMG_8020.JPG IMG_8021.JPG IMG_8041.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    KSW, Joan, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You are right, it isn't ebonite. In spite of the name, ebonite is a bit brownish, like vulcanite.
    What did the tile test show?

It is a gorgeous bangle, could be older than you think. It has an Art Deco look, but I have no idea about hinges on costume jewellery, so we'll have to wait for the costume joolies.:)

KSW, aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i like the hinge ....it don't mess around !!!!

aaroncab likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1970s was the decade that saw a revival of interest in Art Deco.

Debora

KSW likes this.
  5. Xristina

The tile test is picture 3- the small object next to the bracelet.. we had a bunch of tiles laying around in our garage for years.. Yesterday when I needed them, I've discovered that my husband got rid of them a few days before.. the small piece is all I have left.... :jawdrop::happy:

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

How did you test for Bakelite? I've read that testing black Bakelite with Simichrome, 409, etc. doesn't show a yellowish color. I'm not an authority on Bakelite, but I do have a small collection of bracelets, and in my opinion the thickness and carving of your bracelet look typical for Bakelite. However, of the two Bakelite bracelets I have with hinges, one has the ends of the hinge pushed into the cut ends of the bracelet, and the other has a hinge like yours but the rivets have a hole in the center. I have a 60's-era hinged Lucite bracelet that has a hinge exactly like yours with the rounded rivets. In any case, I'm still thinking yours looks like Bakelite.

Kathy Anderson and KSW like this.
  7. Xristina

I've tested it with 409, that's probably why my test failed..I didn't take into consideration the color.. thank you for pointing that to me..:):)

KSW and Joan like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but I thought the tile test was on white unglazed porcelain?. Someone told me on here to use the inside of the toilet cistern? ( built in so couldn't do that!)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Xristina

I thought the back of a tile would work as it is unglazed, maybe I got it wrong.. Ha, I can only imagine my husband's face if he sees me trying the toilet cistern....:D:D:D:D

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Black and red Bakelite is very difficult to test by any means.
    greg

jackolin and KSW like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right.
    That was obb. Maybe with your Japanese sewer museum pendant in mind.:D

KSW and Xristina like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

My poo pendant is the pride of my collection :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

It's earlier.

14. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

I have 3 of similar construction that are bakelite. Very similar hinges. I'll make myself a note to dig them out and send photos.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted