Featured Black Pottery

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Roger67, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

I bought this yesterday not having any luck finding anything that even looks like it. It is 6 1/2 wide and 2 1/2 tall. Not finding no signature. Does it look old? I hope pics are good enough. I was thinking Native American what do you think? TIA everybody! IMG_3560.JPG IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3548.JPG IMG_3550.JPG IMG_3552.JPG IMG_3556.JPG IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3559.PNG

Houseful, scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It does not look like any North American Native American pottery that I am familiar with. It looks like the design was created by a resist process - something was used to paint the light areas which protected them from a reduction firing.

Bakersgma and scoutshouse like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have seen the double pointed shape in some southeast Asian/Indonesian basketry. And the spiral design also reminds me of Indonesian carving. So you may want to search examples from that region.

Houseful likes this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, not Native American. Probably an older piece of Lenca pottery, made by potters from the Lenca ethnic group, from Honduras and El Salvador.

Figtree3, 2manybooks and Jivvy like this.
  5. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

Thank you 2manybooks and taupou! It looks just like Lenca pottery! It's amazing what you all know here!

Draft saved Draft deleted