Black Velvet Painting of Elvis - Signature help

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Jun 4, 2021.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognize the signature on this black velvet painting of Elvis? The client overpaid (in my opinion) but claims the artist is famous. I know a lot of these came from Mexico. Thoughts? elvis.jpg elvis2.jpg elvis3.jpg elvis4.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the frame, certainly does appear to be Mexican in origin. These came out of factories; not sure name of "artist" matters that much.

Debora

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not even a good likeness. :rolleyes:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i gotta look hard ...to see elvis there..

laura9797, BoudiccaJones, Fid and 2 others like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Elvis has left the building.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You've found this resource?

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/ar...of-the-paintings-the-art-world-loves-to-hate/

1970s Elvis produced at the end of the medium's popularity. I think the reason it looks so incohesive to the eye is this. The work of more than one person.

“The paintings would slide along these boards that the factory owner had constructed,” Eliason says. “One person would paint the hair, the next person would do the collar, and the next person would do the rhinestones. The last person would do Elvis’s profile, and then it’d be done."

Debora

7. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Famous for something else maybe, but not for painting. Besides, as Debora said, these were often painted in a production line with everyone painting another bit. An old tradition btw, the same was done in the studios of the Dutch Golden Age. Somehow I think most people prefer Dutch Golden Age paintings though.:playful:

9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

And that frame...

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you very much.:p

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

laura9797 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

This was really an interesting read! Thank you!

Debora likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looks a lot like the one my sister bought for me as a joke present in the 1980s. She got it at a gas station, I think she paid $5.

I regifted it to another sister and it made the rounds of my family - until I gave it to my niece. She actually likes it and has had it hanging in her house for 20 years :wideyed:

Draft saved Draft deleted