blown ? Pressed glass decanter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bobsyouruncle, Oct 30, 2017.

1. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

No Pontile on your cruet. This was pressed upside down and the base closed with the cut-shut technique. Excess glass was left when the plunger was withdrawn and it was then tooled over to close and any extra cut off.

3. bobsyouruncle

Thank you Mr Nesmith. Great information..now I’m off to look at cur-shut! I forgot to give dimensions . It is actually decanter..bottle size about 10 inches high. Thanks again..any idea as to age?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think your bottle dates to the mid 1800s and was probably a whiskey decanter.

Very Nice.

judy and bobsyouruncle like this.
  5. bobsyouruncle

Thank you both! Looked up the cut-shut process. Very interesting as I’d not read about it before. This is a wonderful place to learn!!

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I would place it closer to 1900 mainly because pressed molded glass

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'd opine that the applied ring of glass around the top/mouth puts it more nearer the mid 19th century than the end

Draft saved Draft deleted