Blue and White Brush Holder?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by drg642, Jan 24, 2021.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This is about 4 1/2 inches tall, I believe a Chinese brush holder, but can someone confirm? Also, any thoughts about age, correct descriptive terms? And of course value, though I know we don't do that. Just anything to guide me in selling locally, like under $50, over $100, if you are comfortable. Thank you!

brsh1.JPG brsh2.JPG brsh3.JPG brsh4.JPG brsh5.JPG brsh6.JPG

2. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Yes, Chinese. Fairly recent. Chipped and cracked. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it; like the rough brushwork of the painting though, find it charming.

Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you JayBee, very helpful!

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything quite like this before, so I will have to make an educated guess.

I don't believe it to be newer, it reminds me of Chinese 19thc wares that were exported to other places in Asia like Annam (Vietnam) rather than to the west. These wares were produced at a low price point and were often decorated by children. I actually admire decoration like this!
    Here's a plate of mine in a similar vein, maybe not quite as sketchy but still along the same lines.

[​IMG]

anundverkaufen likes this.
  5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your thoughts, Blooey.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted