Blue and White Chinese Cloisonné Vase - 1920's?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 2, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Another piece from the reseller's treasures comes this blue and white cloisonné vase stamped China on a gold-tone bottom surface. I bought it because I was not familiar with this color scheme in cloisonné and was intrigued. I was surprised to find several examples - one called a1900 Chinese export vase and the others citing 1920 or early 20th century. None are exactly the same but they are similar to my 9 inch tall piece:

Circa 1900 Chinese Export Blue White Cloisonne Bronze Vases | eBay

Sold Price: 1920’s Chinese Cloisonne Blue and White Large Vase - November 4, 0119 7:00 PM EST (invaluable.com)

1920’s Chinese Cloisonne Blue and White Large Vase - Nov 28, 2019 | Kavanagh Auctions in Canada (liveauctioneers.com)

PAIR OF EARLY 20TH C BLUE & WHITE CLOISONNE VASES - Nov 22, 2014 | Elite Decorative Arts in FL (liveauctioneers.com)

Would you agree that this is the time period?

IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0463.JPG IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0458.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    TraceyB and i need help like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice vase Kiko.
    I would.:) The impurities in the lacquer are a feature of old pieces.

TraceyB, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is possible it is inter-war, however the shape of the ground wires makes me hesitate as this isn't a design I have seen before on pieces that early. AJ is correct about the impurities, however I also have some Chinese cloisonne from the 70's & 80's that are also like this, they were just badly made at the time.

I think it's a difficult call on this one, it is definitely vintage and not a recent one, but whether it is antique or post war is up for debate.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Here's a close up from a (relatively recent) one. It is a high quality example from Beijing, but still has lots of inclusions, there are air pops in other parts as well.

Screenshot_1.jpg

I have seen people offering these types for sale as antiques on ebay :rolleyes:

TraceyB, KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I don't know what the rest looks like, but it looks like it could be made in the Ming style, with those colours? So maybe the inclusions and bubbles are intentional?

Chinese repros are much better quality now, so items are getting more difficult to date.:(

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    TraceyB and Ce BCA like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Some Ming style elements, but they are modern decoratives.
    Screenshot_4.jpg

TraceyB, KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Ce. Interesting combination of styles.

Ce BCA, TraceyB and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful! This is very exciting!!!!!!! Thanks for the information about the impurities in old lacquer, as something to look for.

Ce BCA, Any Jewelry and TraceyB like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Ce. I very much appreciate your analysis. I know nothing about the history of this piece, other than it is from a thrift. Does the fact that it is stamped 'China" and not "Made in China" mean anything? I had read that US law required that starting in 1919, though if this was an intentional fake and not a reproduction then deception would mean not using the Made In.

Ce BCA and TraceyB like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Interesting. So the qualities that AJ mentioned are being intentionally introduced to fool buyers. I can see this if you are reproducing the kind of pieces that appeal to the modern buyer - complex and colorful - but mine seems to be a humbler design. I relooked at the first example and I saw what you meant about no wires The second example that is marked 'China" only has wires.

11. KikoBlueEyes

A trying too hard reproduction. :D

12. KikoBlueEyes

Trying to appeal to many tastes

Ce BCA and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

In this case they are just meant as modern tourist giftware, they are from the Forbibben Palace gift shop in Beijing. They are expensive to buy new and you can buy vintage ones for a lot less than buying something like this new today.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

I was there, and you are right - pricey place for souvenirs. I am mostly interested in older pieces because of their place in history. I do have modern art glass though, since newer artists have taken creativity to greater heights in my estimation.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted