Featured BLUE AND WHITE FLOWER POT OR JARDINIERE... origins and age??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Irenka, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hello again! :happy:

This time I have a problem with this wonderful flower pot:

DSC_6852 (Small).JPG
    I bought it in the north of Italy, and since it is near Venice, of course all sellers claim that their things are Venetian or, if they are made of glass, they are made of Murano glass. I've already gotten used to having to thoroughly investigate such guesses from the sellers themselves. The seller also claimed that the pot is from the 19th century, it is possible, but I am not very familiar with this type of antiques, so I would really like to ask you for help, how can I recognize the age of these things, what should I pay attention to?

The pot has some very good repairs, apparently at some point the base was broken and it was refinished..
    DSC_6823 – kopija (Small).JPG
    There is also a depiction of a "coat of arms" in the middle of the pot, would that help in determining where and when it is from?
    DSC_6857 (Small).JPG

Overall, it's a very nice pot and I'd really like to know a bit more about it... After doing some research, I just have a few more questions, as it seems French, German, and even Dutch could be the countries of origin, but of course there's also the possibility , that it is Italian...

Measurements: 33cm/13in x 37cm/14,5in x 46cm/18in

What do you think about this pot? Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

Sincere thanks to everyone!

DSC_6821 (Small).JPG DSC_6823 (Small).JPG DSC_6840 (Small).JPG

Figtree3, elarnia, ulilwitch and 7 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Impressive, Irenka.
    Is it being naughty?:playful:
    I agree with the seller.:)

People will want to see the bottom of your jardiniere (if that is its original putpose). And they want to know the size.
    I will tag some people for you, @say_it_slowly , @Ownedbybear .:) I know I am forgetting some, apologies for that.:sorry:

3. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

it is naughty because it doesn't have any marks to help me determine the age :p

I'm going to take pictures of the bottom right away if they help, but there's no sign of any markings...

4. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

This is the picture from the top DSC_6984 (Small).JPG

and the bottom
    DSC_6986 (Small).JPG
    the repair can be seen very well here...

Thanks AJ for taging people along :)

5. Any Jewelry

Marks or no marks, they love to see bottoms.:oops::joyful:

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Salt glazed stoneware, and it looks Westerwald or thereabouts. Maybe. I don’t think Italian.

7. Any Jewelry

My thought was Westerwald too, don't know why I didn't post that.
    Irenka, the Westerwald region is in western Germany.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I guess a question would be 'Why a hole in the bottom'?? Any way, enlarged the bottom 4X, Left oval looks like it has pen or pencil initials J.J.P or f......and the Right side looks like a sideways Script 'E with a small series of flags (???) after it! That's basically all I found other than the hole in the middle!! I think it's great that someone thought enough of the 'jardiniere' to repair it!! LOVE the age and colors!!!

DSC_6986 (Small)-gigapixel-lines-scale-4_00x.jpg

Figtree3 and Irenka like this.
  9. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Thank you! quick search really shows some what similar stoneware... am i to far off if i like the idea that it is german gothic revival? :shame:

This one is some what similar in style:

https://www.invaluable.com/v2/aucti...rman-gothic-revival-westerwald-9-c-f1e4cb0846

I think the hole is for water to drain more easily...

I don't think there are any marks, even after a closer look, but it will have to be investigated... it seems to me more that the damage to the bottom is due to pulling it over ruff floors...

and yes very lovely that someone loved it so much that it was repaird! I love this kind of repairs cus it really shows the love that someone had. I dont think that today we really appreciate stuff like this anymore...

10. Any Jewelry

Not Gothic Revival, closer to Renaissance Revival.
    The Germans call it Historismus, Historic Revival, which is often a mishmash of styles.

ulilwitch and Irenka like this.
  11. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Alt deutch then ? We call it historic revival or alt deutch here... and it is almost the only types of antiques that we know here or that we possess :D

ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Immediately struck me as westerwald too. Danke shon, alles gut, jah!

Possibly part of a larger piece such as sitting on top of a pedestal perhaps?

Figtree3, Ownedbybear and Irenka like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Proper jardinières have holes so that the water drains. It may have had a saucer.

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and Irenka like this.
  14. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Definitely German in my opinion.

Figtree3 and Irenka like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted