Featured Blue and white pattern help please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ownedbybear, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I ought to recognise this, really I should. Comes under the Oriental heading: that's a mosque. Anyone brighter than me today recognise it?

35C.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well I'd never claim to brighter than you on any day but I am very pleased to return the so many ID favors you've done me. Petra Williams identifies this as Moorish Palace (Maker Unknown). Reference book is Flow Blue China Book II. The description mainly talks about the pattern but it does say, "There is no mark on this plate and this name is used for cataloguing, but this is not the pattern "ALHAMBRA" which does carry a backstamp and dates after 1910." Ms. Williams lists this under the "Scenic" category. Personally, I think it's a wonderful pattern!
    Don

Figtree3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Aha! Many thanks Don - my plates have no backstamp either, and I suspect are early to mid 19thC, so that makes sense. They're really well done, and the costumes are that sort of late Regency version of Moorish. My blue and white source books suggest that these Oriental (or Scenic!) designs fell out of favour after about the 1840s.

The Lake Ontario pattern does indeed have a similar composition, but is later, I suspect. Interesting, indeed!

Thanks guys, I shall dig a bit more. ;)

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, I can't believe I found this pattern. I was casually thumbing through Petra Williams & Webers books thinking if Bear, Moreoverstuff and Don can't find a name, I certainly can't either. I went ahead and looked anyways for index finger exercise. Williams & Weber's Staffordshire Romantic Transfer Patterns Cup Plates & Early Victorian China, p. 373, Scenic Catagory, p. 373, "Peruvian" made by John Wedge Wood. It shows a plate and a platter or vegetable something with both having a rim design. Here's what it says:

"The rim design is almost a copy of Peru. The rim design has been divided into panals by vertical lines. However the dark panels do not contain the bellflower design found on Peru but instead have a diamond containing a rosette in the center. Scrolls are used to contain the bottom of the patterns, and small crosses are placed under the scrolls and around the upper well.

"The scene, like Peru, shows a river which originates in a waterfall in the center. There are a castle and minarets at left set against very tall mountains. The elm tree rise at right on the cup plate behind the same covered urn near a pool that can be seen on Peru, but a fountain has been added at left and is distinctive on all pieces of this pattern. The vegetable dish has a different architectural design at right. Neither piece shows the wide flat-leaved plants found in Peru.

"Marked J. Wedgwood, GMK. 4276a, 1845-60."

If you don't have this book, I'll scan the page for you.

--- Susan

6. Ladybranch

Hmmmmm, just read Don's reply completely. Sorry, I erred, Don did find it. Strange that Willians ID's the pattern scene in this book but not in her Flow Blue book. No telling how many others potteries did this pattern. Here is the pic from this book

--- Susan

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  7. Ownedbybear

WHOOPS! Where's my manners. And my brain, I entirely missed Susan's reply. Thank you very much indeed.

It does make me giggle rather at the geographically challenged designer. ;)

8. Ladybranch

Your manners are superb. THe only reason I pointed you back to this query was the strange name of it. I was astonished at the pattern title. At first I thought it was a misprint or that the printers messed up giving this pattern the description of another. Then I searched Transferware Wedgwood Peruvian coming up with several plates, etc... with this pattern and name.

The pitcher, scroll about 2/3rds of the way down the page (1st, 2nd, & 3rd pics up from the bottom) to see close-ups of the pitcher:
    http://caseantiques.com/item/lot-493-transfer-ware-bowl-pitcher-and-dinnerware/

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-wedgwood-ironstone-peruvian-308049775

https://www.etsy.com/listing/195924...R&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery

Here is the "Peru" that Williams, etc. referred to in their description of "Peruvian." The "Peru" is by Peter Holdcroft. Do note the castle and minarets, etc. that look very very similar to Wedgwood's "Peruvian." Wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Black-Mulberry-TransferWare-Platter-Near-Mint-Condition-Holdcroft-034-Peru-034-/261697338575?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item3cee607ccf&nma=true&si=%2F7vKWUJ4932E4vXXCHDoX1Wv%2F3I%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I wonder if these "geographically challenged designer" thought the conquistadors envisioned El Dorado (City of Gold) would look like this with castle and minarets.

--- Susan

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    dgbjwc likes this.
  9. Ladybranch

Why did the last lines of my above reply have a line through them /strike through???? I tried retyping it several times, but didn't help.

--- Susan

10. Ownedbybear

How odd. Don't you hate it when computers have a mind of their own. ;)

Yes, it's an odd pattern name, to say the least. That's Victorians for you. Thank you very much for those links, it's absolutely nailed it. My plates have no marks, and they actually look finer than most of the images I've found on line, so I suspect they are, as I thought, quite early. They're also true flow blue, which is nice.

Many thanks again, I'm much obliged!

11. Ownedbybear

Draft saved Draft deleted