Blue and White Pitcher Unmarked

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, May 5, 2017.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked this up from an estate sale. This is unmarked so I am not sure who made it. There were other English and Scottish items there. Leaning towards English though. Any thoughts?

jug1.JPG jug2.JPG jug3.JPG jug4.JPG

hemster922 likes this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards English, mid 19th c. Sweet, with underglaze blue simulating marble, I think.

Ladybranch likes this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Kent. It did look older which is why I picked it up.

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Ooooooooo - very pretty!

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. Mid 19th or maybe earlier. For some reason, my head thinks Scottish: it's that marbled effect. There's a name for it. I've forgotten what. Bother.

6. kraftblue

There was a bunch of Scottish stuff at the estate also.

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Found following fruit bowl that the seller is attributing to Minton calling it "Stafforshire ... Seaweed or Marble Minton." The description says:

"The tureen is unmarked. The pattern was also made by several other English potteries of the same period including Dimmock. The pattern and form of this particular piece is attributed to Minton potteries in the Staffordshire region of England c1840."

https://www.rubylane.com/item/319330-AA2441/Staffordshire-Childs-Flow-Blue-Wine-Cooler

Then there is this leach jar. :vomit::yuck:
    http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...orated-lid-possibly-in-and-picture-id90731208

And..
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-mulberry-white-ironstone-504605063

--- Susan

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    judy likes this.
  8. kraftblue

Some great reference links!! Leech Jar LOL. So this is most likely English, cool!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE!!! Love the WHOLE PIECE!!!!! How big is or isn't it???

10. kraftblue

It is 5" tall.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've not seen that described as seaweed, but it's very apt.

Draft saved Draft deleted