Blue and White Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rosiposey, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

willow front.jpg Willow back.jpg Appears to be "Willow" but backwards. The temple is on the left. No marks on the back. Any ideas as to age or where it was made? Transferware from UK?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2021
    judy likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it may be a different but willow like pattern such as maybe like this one referred to as two temples. This pattern was made by quite a few companies over time.

These are from Gaston's Blue Willow book.

img20210415_191924.jpg img20210415_191940.jpg img20210415_192000.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Bakersgma, judy and Ce BCA like this.
  3. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

Thank you:)

judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

You're welcome. Made me go pull out an old Spode plate with a different willow type pattern that I'd forgotten about:). I'd wondered at one time if it was Two Temples but mine is actually called Forest Landscape I. :)

judy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mid 19th Staffordshire.

judy likes this.
  6. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

I was born in Staffordshire, not quite that old though.

7. say_it_slowly

I don't know just how far you want to dig into history on your plate but as I already have reference material that might help if you want to go that way, here it is:). It has some factory names to follow though the references are a bit confusing to follow.

The page references are all from Coysh and Henrywood's books Dictionary of Blue and White Printed Pottery 1780-1880. Unfortunately they do not include photos of the pattern.

The link to Spode shows their pattern Brosley with a bit of info on it, it's an old pattern.

img20210416_113138.jpg img20210416_113155.jpg img20210416_113211.jpg img20210416_113225.jpg img20210416_113239.jpg

http://www.spodeceramics.com/pottery/printed-designs/patterns/broseley
    upload_2021-4-16_11-41-54.png
    Pattern Category: Based on Chinese Originals

Alternate Names: Two Temples II, Variation Broseley

Object Type: Wares for Breakfast and Tea

Dimensions:

• Diameter: 6.5 inches

Source: Chinese Original

Description:

This pattern was copied directly from a Chinese original design and was one of the earliest printed patterns produced on porcelain at Caughley c. 1780. The pattern was used mainly on tea services and it is said to have been named after a neighboring town, Broseley. Josiah Spode recognized the temple and garden (or Two Temples) in the pattern and thus the Spode factory has used the title Two Temples II, Variation Broseley. The pattern is shown here on a round bone china tea plate printed in a light blue underglaze.

Drakard/Holdway Pattern Number P614

SBSVC likes this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

May I suggest you take the plate hanger off the plate carefully and leave it off. Over time just the vibration from doors closing and people walking will cause the metal hooks to create chips and. or discoloration. There are some stick on hooks by command that might work although i haven't tried them. I use a plate rack for all of my plates.

9. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

Thank you so much. Yes, I just heard that on the Antiques Roadshow and have now removed the hanger:)
    Thank you sooooooo much! Extremely helpful:)

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted