Blue and White Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MIRED, Jul 23, 2020.

1. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Any info at all about this vase appreciated. Country of origin, age etc. Looks like a second as glaze missing in spots. Hand coils/rolls can be felt inside.
    6" tall and 3" diam. opening. No marks - tiny blue spot on bottom looks like an errant paint spot. IMG_6891.JPG IMG_6893.JPG IMG_6895.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but Grenada Spain.

PortableTreasures and judy like this.
  3. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Looks like a great guess. Search Grenada and fajalauza and saw many items with similar designs. Even the areas of missing glaze, that I thought meant it was a second, seem common. Thanks for the tip!

PortableTreasures and judy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... Don't think Spain. The typically pottery of Granada is bright green and blue on white. It often features the design of a granada or pomegranate.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

PortableTreasures likes this.
  5. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Hi Debora,
    Here are some examples that claim to be 18th century Granada dishes in just blue and white. I don't begin to think mine is that old but some of the design seems very similar. There are flowers with 7 round petals and a crosshatched center. There are a series of little dashes diminishing in size to form a conical sorta shape, best seen between the semicircles on the margin of one of the plates. Several pieces have the areas of missing glaze like mine. The clay color looks similar to me. Do you have an idea of where else it might be from? I know nothing more than what I find by googling and what you guys are so generously teaching here. https://www.chairish.com/product/23...6ZsE-RB8GlZDj_XYt-nCowpSM2ne9UxEaAmM8EALw_wcB

judy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

While I agree the bowls you posted are Grenadine, I don't see similarities in design or color. Nor is the shape typically Spanish. By way, I suspect yours is a little jar that has lost its lid. Let's see what others think.

Debora

mid-18th-century-spanish-ceramic-fajalauza-bowl-from-granada-9000.jpg

7. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thanks again. I see that it does look like missing a lid now!

Draft saved Draft deleted