Featured Blue Glass Bottle Help Getting Top Off

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Jan 24, 2020.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I picked this bottle up and can't get the top off. It will twist/spin freely but there is a lip underneath and I suspect another lip on the glass so it won't lift off easily. It isn't a twist on cap, so maybe just force/popping it off?
    It is 3 3/4"H x 1", 10 or 01 on the base. No idea on what type of bottle this is. Not sure what the hole in the top is all about.
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF7148.jpeg DSCF7151.jpeg DSCF7158.jpeg DSCF7154.jpeg

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a cool looking cobalt bottle! Since I have trouble getting modern lids/tops of everyday jars, I won't be much help, lol. I think you need a glass person.

I wonder if @gregsglass would have an idea?

KSW, judy, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

WD40 to break-thru the gunk?

KSW, judy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like perhaps a vaccine bottle to me - the collar would have a barrier that the needle would pierce to fill the syringe...

~Cheryl

KSW, judy, cxgirl and 6 others like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Designed not to come off.

The cap maybe had a spray atomizor attached

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 7 others like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with Davey. I would pry off the metal cap gently.It is a pretty bottle. The metal cap does nothing for the value of the bottle and detracts from the bottle. If the cap was in great shape I would leave it but the way it is I am with the Queen of Hearts "off with it's head".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

kyratango, KSW, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Metal expands with heat...maybe hit it w a blow dryer for a bit then try popping it off again.

judy, cxgirl, Aquitaine and 1 other person like this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

First let me assure all of you that I am not quite "as old as the hills" but here is something I remember from long ago.

Blue-colored pharmacy bottles are still used to denote that the medicine inside is NOT for children.

Below is a link regarding "blue medicine/prescription bottles.

https://www.thorntonplastics.com/pill-bottles-pharmacy-vials/blue.html

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 4 others like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very interesting yourturn. I always associate blue bottles with "Evening In Paris" perfume.
    Nice find cxgirl.

judy, cxgirl, James Conrad and 2 others like this.
  10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The top is crimped on - not meant to be removed

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  11. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'd find some tin snips & try to get that puppy off.....it's not doing any good any more on that OLD beautiful bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:muted:

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Drop it in some nitric acid - top will disappear. You can use the remaining acid to test any precious metals you have, or take up the art of etching!;)

judy and cxgirl like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies folks:)
    thank-you Cheryl, looks like that is what it could be:) Will do some searching to see what I can find

Since it is meant to stay on I'm not going to remove it:)

Thanks for the tip Aaron! I tried that but maybe I didn't get it hot enough, it wouldn't come off. It is thin metal and it has the start of a split on the bottom edge, probably could pry it off but have decided to leave it on (for the time being anyways):)

thanks for the information on blue glass bottles yourturn, I didn't know that:)

I have it soaking to get the gunk off the glass, maybe it was buried at some point.

15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Make sure to post a photo once it’s cleaned :)

kyratango, Msalicia and aaroncab like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

have been doing some searching and couldn't find anything similar for a vaccine bottle. Asked about it on a perfume forum and they suggested it looked like it had a stopper similar to Old Spice bottles
    http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/bottle stoppers.html
    then found a 'Budda Oriental Toilet Water' bottle with the same type of top
    https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/lot-of-barber-grooming-products-70476
    here is a worth point listing that shows the top better
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-victorian-perfume-bottle-box-472721789
    so still don't know what my bottle held, but maybe the stopper for it had the name or something to identify.
    will keep looking:)

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not that I know what it is, but part of what made me think it might be for medicine was the shape, unless it was intended to rest in some sort of base, looks like it would topple rather easily, vaccines would have been grouped together in a box. I was thinking of something like this one, about the same diameter, but shorter than yours: http://oldglassbottles.blogspot.com/2012/08/franklin-products-1845-amber-medicine.html

~Cheryl

komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Cheryl:) it could be some sort of medicine bottle, someone suggested it held liquid medicine for an IV. I'll keep searching around to see what I can find.
    I was thinking the blue colour and the swirl on the bottle would make this an easy ID, wrong:) I am seeing some pretty cool/interesting medical pieces on my search though, lots of rabbit holes to go down

komokwa likes this.
  19. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

I suspect that the hump on the top of lid screwed off at one time. That would allow it to be filled. That could be wrong, as I have been known to be wrong on occasion. I remember back in 1987 making a mistake, or was that 1988.

If it ever unscrewed, it never will again. :happy:

komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  20. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

My guess is it’s an atomizer for perfume. Missing the sprayer and cap. The hole could be to refill with a very small glass funnel. If you clean it better and put it up to light maybe you will see the tube. I think it’s to pretty (Cobalt swirls) to be for medicine use. Might be wrong. Very popular item for women in the past. I guess present too bec I refill my purse size.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted