Blue Glass Egg Cup, Crudely Made, Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Sep 28, 2020.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

This little moulded (or pressed?) glass egg cup came in a recent job lot of blue and white porcelain egg cups. It is very poorly finished, the maker has had to file away some excess glass from between the scallops at the top but left the job unfinished. The colour is attractive but there are darker streaks of unblended colour which look like cracks but aren't. I think it is meant to resemble early cut glass but falls far short of the expertise of cut glass items. There is a star shape in the base which may possibly be cut or moulded. It all sounds terrible but in fact the colour makes it quite a pretty little object. Does anyone have any ideas on who might have made it, and when? I'm in the UK but maybe it came from a little workshop somewhere like the Far East. glass - 1.jpg glass - 2.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Even with all imperfections it’s beautiful cobalt glass. I don’t know why you think Far East, im thinking of Bristol blue glass that is in your neighborhood. Just guessing. Not glass expert, just blue glass enthusiast :happy:

judy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Bristol glass was from the 1700s and opaque. Believe there are now glass houses working in the Bristol area. However, I think they are blowing glass.
    This is molded.

Agree and I see a lot of air bubbles.

Sorry I can't help.
    Wonder if @Ownedbybear might know.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm.

Not Bristol which is a term far too often used.;)

I think this has some real age - late 19th or early 20th. That's frit in it, or muck, quite common. Little things like this were made for those who could not afford cut. Might be someone like Davidson, could be one of the Sunderland factories.

5. ValerieK

Hi, I actually live in Bristol, and have visited the current Bristol Blue Glass workshop, which I am sure you would love if you are a blue glass enthusiast! (The item came in a local auction lot, but the other egg cups were from all over Britain and Europe, with no other glass items.) The current workshop produces entirely hand blown glass objects with no streaks or moulded areas, or even hand cut areas. What they may have produced in the past, say Victorian times, I don't know, but will try to find out. Maybe a local Bristol factory experimented with this cobalt moulded glass, but the poor finish of this egg cup would have meant they certainly wouldn't have found a market here. I thought the Middle East, or maybe North Africa or India, because I think that there might be a tiny family workshop in some bazaar, trying out techniques, where something much cruder might emerge than would come from a British or European factory. I'm speaking from almost complete ignorance, but researching and learning is what this is all about!

Branka likes this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Branka likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There weren't any noteable pressed or moulded glass factories in Brizzle that I can think of.

You'd be surprised how poor the finish is on some British moulded glass of the period. It was cheap and cheerful.

Any Jewelry and Branka like this.
  8. ValerieK

Thanks for this. I shall research Davidson and also Sunderland, and see if I can find anything similar. I had a quick look at Davidson, they look much more professional, and the streaks in their coloured glass were quite decorative and deliberate, the ones in my piece just look like imperfections! Thank you for introducing me to Davidson, I will read up and see if I can spot their pieces whenever restrictions lift and I can get out to car boots again. I intended to sell this little piece, but I'm actually getting quite fond of it now, might even try it out with a soft boiled egg some time!

Draft saved Draft deleted