Featured Blue & gold glass dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MIRED, Jul 30, 2020.

1. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

This is a shallow bowl, 6 1/2" diam. with a rough pontil. Can't find any marks to identify.
    The swirls are blue and sparkly gold. Suspect it's mid-century from family history.
    Any way to identify it? Any terms to search appreciated too. Thanks again for your ideas. IMG_6915.JPG IMG_6916.JPG IMG_6917.JPG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Could be a piece of Murano, although some vases in this technique were produced in Japan during the 1980's - I believe the Murano bowls were almost always flat ground not with a cut pontil FWIW.

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks Murano to me..
    I didn't realize there were similar Japanese glass pieces imported in the 1980s, this could be one, as the pontil looks shiny like the rest of the glass.
    I hadn't heard about the pontil cuts being flat ground..?
    While they generally are, but..?

Is a very pretty glass bowl.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't help, but put that on a spinning base, and you could hypnotize someone!!!!! It's a gorgeous bowl!!!:happy::happy:

pearlsnblume and antidiem like this.
  5. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thanks guys! Pontil def rough - feels like you could cut yourself on it. I think it's pretty too so I guess that's what counts most.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted