Featured Blue Molded Milk Glass Goblets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barn Owl, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Picked these up for 1 Euro each. Once I got home, I discovered they must have cracked during my journey :( both have a crack running down the glass. So annoying, since I was going to use them. Any idea what they are though?
    20181111_183643.jpg 20181111_183654.jpg 20181111_183704.jpg 20181111_183712.jpg

Chiquita, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have a couple of pieces of blue milk glass and really like them, but I'm afraid I can't help in identifying the goblets.

pearlsnblume, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so, if they are shelf sitters now......they are still very nice shelf sitters !!!! :happy::happy:

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Gosh, I hate when that kind of thing happens. Get home and find some flaw you missed or maybe happened in transit. I try to be so careful, and still now and then get home and find an unwelcome surprise. You never know-- they may have been like that and you just missed it. Either way, sorry.

5. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I like them too. This is my first time finding some.

True! They'll make nice bookends, at least.
    Thanks. :( I always forget to check things too closely, so sometimes I miss a flaw. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what happened here. At least they were only one euro each, so it's not a huge loss.

pearlsnblume, komokwa and Pat P like this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Check them close. if what you are calling a crack is what I see on the inside of the goblet on the right, it looks like a mold flaw, which is more acceptable.

7. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

If they can come from France or belgium, they are pieces you can win in fairs until the 70's, copying old designs and called "verre de foire" in Europe.
    The more valuable blue pressed glasses are those you see red with light trough, but it's another story.:bookworm:

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, not cracks but mould marks.

Lecollectionneur likes this.
  9. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Portieux Vallerysthal? from France. I know they did a lot of Blue opaline

Lecollectionneur likes this.
  10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

These are pressed not blown. The inside of the bowl is is flat from the plunger not indented to follow the ribs like it would be if blown.

Lecollectionneur and aaroncab like this.
  11. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

I've some good 19th century examples with press tool in wood used commonly in Switzerland for all-day glasses which comes very burned and gives surprising results inside.:bored:
    The name of opaline glass comes from the first produced which are made with certain salts which gives them a red colour with sunlight and certain artificial lights with the good colours(I don't know how to translate the "spectre lumineux")
    Actually they are manufactures which make this real opaline glass but this one is blue glass if you try with another light and it stay only blue.
    They exist in different colours from blue to white in 19th century.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted