Featured blue/white asian bowl mark--ID help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sak, Jul 18, 2022.

1. sak

sak New Member

Hello, I am trying to ID things for a downsizing/estate sale for my mom. Here's a fairly heavy bowl, blue and white but with a brownish uneven glaze on the rim only. Along with the mark there's a sticker for Deardorf's Art of Japan/Pasadena (no longer extant) and another sticker which I can't see much of. Can anyone ID the stamp (reign mark?) on the back? I haven't seen it online. Or tell me generally about this work? Is it like a reproduction? Thank you so much!

image_123927839 (8).jpg image_6487327 (2).jpg image_123927839 (6).jpg

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

What size are those Post-It notes...or, better yet: what are the dimensions of the bowl? It looks pretty large, but...

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, excellent quality.
    I don't recognize the mark, but it is not a reign mark. It is also slightly off centre.
    It looks like a 20th century mark. With any luck it is Republic Period (1912-1948), a period that is now of interest to collectors.

At the moment many people can't access the site, so be patient. I will tag someone who can take a look once the security certificate has been updated: @Ce BCA .:)

Figtree3, Ce BCA, sak and 2 others like this.
  4. sak

sak New Member

Thanks! The bowl is broad and shallow, about 10" in diameter (I'm not currently at the home....).

5. sak

sak New Member

Thanks! I appreciate it very much. Its been so interesting to pay attention to all the stuff I grew up with but kind of ignored.

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It looks like a very stylised fuku mark, which is rather odd for a Chinese item. It does look early 20th century. Regarding the rim, is it worn paint or badly applied glaze, or perhaps some later addition? It seems odd to have such a poorly executed rim detail when the rest of the bowl is quite decent.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Doesn’t the Deardorfs Art of Japan sticker on the base mean it’s from Japan or have they got it wrong?

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They were a dealer, so they either made an error, or also dealt in Chinese items.

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted