Blue & White China Trade "Ships" unmarked China, Sugar/creamer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Slykitty65, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Picked this creamer and sugar up while looking to add to my grandmother Blue Willow set. I had not seen a Blue and White motif with sailing ships before like these.

3.5" high, 6 sided Sugar Bowl with lid, copper brown slip trim with small dots inside and outside, continuous ships motif of heading into a storm, a lighthouse and possibly a Whaler if you look at the cover with small boat below. Maybe a memorial to a lost ship at sea? Unmarked

4" spout to handle, 6 sided Creamer, a continuous design of ships, lighthouse, copper brown slip trim and dots with no chips/cracks Unmarked for the most part, but
    There is the remnant of an oval sticker on the bottom. Maker or sales tag?

IMG-5295.jpg IMG-5296.jpg

My only search results found a matching 6 sided 8" Tea Pot SOLD at auction 2011 with starting bid of $100 (2bids/3 watch). It was listed as Blue & White China Trade "Ship".
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10408809_188-china-trade-blue-and-white-ship-teapot-a-six-sided

Does anyone know what the name of this Cobalt Blue/White design with Mariners heading toward a storm?

Should I take off that "unknown" maker/sales sticker remanent since its paper and you can't see any writing or design?

Thank you for looking! Any and all information or comments appreciated.

i need help likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The remnant of the sticker is from a 1960s -70s oval "Made in Japan" sticker.

Your sugar and creamer are ceramic from that time period and have no relation to the porcelain one with brass handle that you show from livequctioneers.

Those brown dots are the giveaway for the time period and Japan.

3. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

I wondered about the sticker, being post WWII to the 60s maybe. As for the auction, I was going by the base design matching at the bottom, the design of the ship and it did have dots also when the photo is enlarged on the auction one. Thanks for the comment and suggestions.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Wow, you people and what you turn up, and so quickly ... Amazing.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

7. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you! That is an exact match to the design motif and the remains of the oval sticker under missing its foil label. How exciting to be able to name it! I had seen the name Sadek while searching in Kovels but without knowing the pattern it's so hard to ID.
    Fun fantasy: I did look up Mariner wreaks and found that the Andrea Doria sank in 1956 and that Melville was inspired to write Moby Dick for the Whaler Essex which sunk in 1820. Maybe its a theme the artist was creating because the wave is surely crashing over the boat toward the end of the ships trip around the 6 sides of the design.
    Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted