Featured Blues glass vase with silver overlay of ducks and reeds

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RickSanchezC-137, Apr 16, 2019.

1. RickSanchezC-137

RickSanchezC-137 New Member

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I don't know how I've gone so long without finding this site/forums, but better late than never. I'm hoping someone here can help me identify this vase. I'm usually pretty good about googling the beejezus out of items like this, but I'm totally stumped. Even google image search was of no use. It kept returning images of blue eggs.

I can find no marks on the bottom, and nothing hidden in the reeds in the overlay. It's 8.5" Tall, 7.5" wide and much prettier in person than in the pic.

vase front.jpg vase back.jpg vase inside.jpg vase bottom.jpg

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Can't help with the vase, but love your avatar, *belch* Rick!

kyratango and judy like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Rick, and welcome!

I'm sure some of the posters more familiar with glass than I will be around before too long to give you more info, but for now, I just wanted to mention that there were companies that did JUST the silver overlay - i.e., they put the silver "designs" on other companies' glass.

For instance, here is part of YOUR "top duck" (below, on the left) and what looks like the same design on a completely different clear glass ashtray:
    img0 (85).jpg img0 (87).jpg

(The ashtray photo is from:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wi...816451?hash=item3fa5a24b83:g:Sx8AAOSwoHJbQkbN )

While the silver portion may have been done by the same company, it is possible that the glass portion was not.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The silver deposit pattern is Rockwell's 'Duck' aka 'Mallard'...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cheryl, what the heck are you doing up????????????

i need help and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Who can sleep with all this excitement !! ;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pat P, SBSVC, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

1959 retailer's catalog showing the pattern:

silverdepositrockwellduckpattern1959hagn.JPG

~Cheryl

8. DragonflyWink

Heh, wake up every night around 1 or 2 o'clock to check on Mom, sometimes have a hard time getting back to sleep (night-owl by nature)...

What are you doing up?

~Cheryl

Pat P, komokwa, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

YIKES!!!!! Y'ALL really ARE night owls!!!!! I may read 'til 2:00 a.m., but then don't get up 'til 9:00 a.m.......course maybe you're all not up even NOW.....at NOON Tuesday.....hahahaha!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::joyful::joyful:

Pretty piece of glass, BTW, @RickSanchezC-137 & LOVE your Avatar!!!!! WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!

10. RickSanchezC-137

RickSanchezC-137 New Member

Great info, thanks for the help folks!

SBSVC likes this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Glad to know I'm not the only night owl!

SBSVC likes this.
  12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

You certainly are not alone....but in the Eastern US it's only 11:42 pm

SBSVC likes this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm in the East, too. And now it's 12:11am... still early... :)

SBSVC likes this.
  14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Plagued by insomnia - OFTEN - although I have never claimed to be a "morning person"...

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Me, too. I often have trouble getting to sleep and/or wake up too early. From what I've read, aging has a lot to do with it.

SBSVC likes this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, Pat, so they say - but I have to add that I've ALWAYS been a night owl! Generally, it's not worth my while even TRYING to go to sleep earlier...

17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I've always been a night owl, too. What's changed over the years is not being able to sleep soundly through the night or go back to sleep once I wake up. I have way too many days when I only had 3 or 4 hours sleep the night before. :(

SBSVC likes this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, heavens, Pat! Me, too!

Today (well, yesterday, actually) I had a VERY busy, physically "impactful" day...

It always takes me a long while to "unwind" after a decidedly "active" day, and here I am, definitely "wide awake' after this one. Sigh. I can actually hear my DH snoring from "across the hall", yet I am still wired for sound!

Honest & truly, I wish I were asleep!

Draft saved Draft deleted