Featured Boat/Yacht light.. Alemite?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kronos, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Bought this piece the past weekend. I thought it was a converted boat light. Red globe with a bird on top. What's confusing is when I took it apart, I found a marking for the Alemite company. As far as I can tell, they only focused on lubrication and auto repair related items. I could find nothing about them manufacturing other non related products. Is there another Alemite company that I missed during my research?

They made some really nice work stations, but i've not seen any type of ornamental lighting like this anywhere...

https://www.servicemerchandisers.com/alemite/

lgh.jpg lgh2.jpg

2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Most boat lights were of the gimble type.
    Patd

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-julian-mcdermott-pair-red-lights-beacons
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-perko-red-boat-light-chrome-1818324104
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-brass-navigation-ship-boat-244442712

Plenty of other examples. Signal/bow/running board/beacon type lights that are actually attached to the ship and not swinging around. No idea if mines one of them, but it's what first came to mind. The seller also mentioned it was off a boat, but i've never taken another persons word as gospel unless they have documentation.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’ve been looking with no luck. What is the adornment on top?

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Maybe repurposed from a bulk oil pump, like this.
    662EA0B4-CE7F-41D7-99B6-2A6C0D066E7F.jpeg

Kronos and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

Makes a lot of sense!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Getting into a bit of history, apparently the company was first known as the Alemite Metal Co and then Alemite Die Casting Co. The Alemite Lubrication Co formed in 1918 http://www.skf.com/alemite/about/alemite-history/index.html . So there does seem to be point where they were making non lubrication related items.

i need help likes this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

So i'm thinking the Alemite Die Casting Co cast the bottom section for whatever company actually sold the light maybe. I'll have to tear it apart more to see if there's anything else hiding.

9. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Didn't help. There another Alemite marking for the top piece though. The red glass is set into the base solid and won't move. The top has a seal.

lgh3.jpg lgh4.jpg lgh5.jpg lgh6.jpg

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

Maybe what’s written on the bottom but holding wires can help dating it. I couldn’t read that.

Kronos likes this.
  11. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Its a Leviton socket. 15w 125v. Might not be original to the piece. Could have been put in when it was mounted to the wood base. It looks 40's-50's to me. Maybe a bit earlier.

i need help likes this.
  12. i need help

Can the eagle unscrew easily, maybe that has mark?

Kronos likes this.
  13. i need help

I’m finding another name,

Attached Files:

Kronos likes this.
  14. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I was actually looking into the auto-lite connection also. Haven't been able to find anything matching my piece. Lots of miners lights from when they first started out, then batteries/spark plugs/auto related items. But that is another interesting piece to show any number of items could have an Alemite marking. Also the dropping of the name in the 1940's might help narrow things down.

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

Lol I’m at the same juncture.

16. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I believe I have seen something like these in my 1920's auto wholesale catalogs : My 1937 Seagrave Fire Engine from San Diego had , at one time two similar lights mounted on the rear, minus the bird , I think they were repurposed PERKO marine lights that Shell Beach Fire district put on in the 50's or 60's, when ever they got a hold of it . My Catalogs are put away in storage right now though, so i cannot look .

i need help and Kronos like this.
  17. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

What’s the base metal? Looks like maybe brass plated spelter. I doubt it was made as a marine light since The color red is normally a side light for the port side, and has integral shield to restrict beam to 120 degrees on the left. If it is spelter, that’d corrode into a white furry lump pretty quick even in a fresh water environment. A marine light wouldn’t have the eagle on top, requiring another watertight joint, unlike where this eagle is perched. Nice light for use somewhere on land.

i need help and Kronos like this.
  18. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

19. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Not sure why people want to keep coming up with restrictions for what could be a boat/ship light or not. I already linked three similar shaped lights, without shades, shields, gimbals or whatever, and could link many more.

I do agree that the eagle was probably added when it was converted to a desk light.

I don't believe Alemite would be making pot metal castings. Could be though. Its fairly heavy/solid. It does have seals to keep moisture out...

It could very well be off a land vehicle, but i've yet to see a light of that shape/style so far. I'll keep browsing when I have free time and hopefully find something eventually.

Lastly, oldgas might be my next place to try. Not really on topic for there, but they do have a great user base with many knowledgeable people.

i need help likes this.
  20. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looked at the 3 linked, first two appear to be chrome-plated brass, 3rd. Is cast copper alloy such as brass or bronze, none are spelter. Don’t think eagle was added later unless the whole thing was re-plated since the eagle matches the top exactly in color and texture.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted