Bohemian Cut Glass Lidded Box with Deer / Stag, Age? Country?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Curioser, May 27, 2021.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I am guessing at Bohemia as the region for this very heavy cut crystal or glass lidded box. It's about 4 1/4" wide and 3 1/4" high. The glass/crystal is quite thick. There is a gilt brass frame and hinge, not exactly the best fit top-to-bottom. The deer appears to be jumping a fence around "palm" trees. There is a mis-cut or such on the front left corner, not a chip but it appears the cutting tool made some bad clips.

It has what I would call some wide "gray" cut curving forms within which are sharper-cut hatch cuts.

Does anyone have an idea of age or maker? Is this average quality? Weighs over a pound and has no marks. I apologize for photo clarity, I'm not very good at shooting uncolored glass.

Thanks in advance!
    Heavy_cut_crystal_box_1.jpg
    Heavy_cut_crystal_box_2.jpg Heavy_cut_crystal_box_3.jpg Heavy_cut_crystal_box_4.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I tend to think of those animal etches as being Theresienthal for an area.

Draft saved Draft deleted