Bohemian Garnets for Repair

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Marie Forjan, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have a lovely pin that needs 2 garnets missing. Sizing is a problem but I think one is 2 to 2.5mm, the other 1 to 1.mm.

Anyway, if anyone has an old garnet piece of jewelry that is only good for harvest, please let me know, I am interested :)

Any Jewelry, kyratango and judy like this.
  2. Arlene_V

Arlene_V Active Member

Hi Marie,
    I have an old garnet brooch that is broken and might fit the bill. Let me know if you are interested in this one. If so I can pop it in the mail to you. IMG_0296.JPG

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Just had a look in my "in case of" box, no small garnets (Bohemian or almandine) alas...
    Wow, @Arlene_V that is kind and sweet!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Marie, do you need facet cut garnets or cabochons?

That's a very sweet brooch, Arlene, pity it is broken.

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Arlene_V

Arlene_V Active Member

It is a sweet brooch.

I think I found it in a grab bag of broken jewelry at one of the thrift stores a while back.

I had planned to use it for replacement stones should the need arise, but recently replaced marcasites in a ring and have decided that I am officially never, ever going to try to fix something small and finicky again!

I would be more than happy for these lovely garnets to be put to good use by someone else! :)

Christmasjoy, judy, lloyd249 and 4 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I know, they tend to stick to anything they shouldn't, and will always insist on slanting to one side.:rolleyes: It takes forever to get them right, even with the help of one of those jewel setter sticks, cocktail skewers, pins, etc.

7. Arlene_V

Arlene_V Active Member

So true! I would rather not ever replace another marcasite again and just live with missing ones than try that fiasco once more.

Actually the worst part was trying to get the marcasites out of the single "harvesting" earring. I thought it would be no big deal, was I ever wrong!

The marcasites would just not budge! I tried everything. Finally one popped out and I watched in horror as it flew across the room.

So there I was on my hands and knees looking for a 1mm marcasite, and of course had help from the cats! (NOT!) I was determined to find it and it took me ages, but I did.

The next ordeal was setting the marcasites. As you say they will go every way and stick to everything except in the spot I wanted it! Ugh.

I have the utmost respect now for marcasite jewelry. And honestly I wonder how marcasites ever fall out of their settings considering how much I battled to remove them as replacements.

I think it has left me with PTMSD (post traumatic marcasite setting disorder).

janettekay, judy, LIbraryLady and 9 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Wow!
    It is a recognized disorder among jewellery collectors.:pompous::hilarious:

Christmasjoy, judy, Arlene_V and 3 others like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

PTMSD ... oh no! :eek:

Nice to see you Arlene! :) What a lovely offer for Marie.

Christmasjoy, judy, Arlene_V and 2 others like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Excellent description!:hilarious:
    For those who asked if I would consider showing vids of me kyratising my stuff... NO! Because of all the gross words involved in all these adventures...:facepalm::joyful:

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Arlene - Your description was wonderful & gave me the laugh I desperately needed this morning. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I can also commiserate with you about replacing rhinestones. It is utterly frustrating to say the least. :facepalm::banghead::banghead::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Christmasjoy, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Holy cow, I didn’t expect so many answers!

Any Jewelry, the stones are faceted.

Arlene, I would love that little pin, the stones may just work. I will send you a private massage :)

I have replaced marcasites and I feel your pain!

I think theses garnets may be tricky as I had to clean out some “stuff” from where the larger one goes. I suspect it was originally set with a filler to raise the flat backed stone up. But I’m willing to give it a try, if this works out I will post a photo of the finished piece.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Rhinestones aren't nearly so bad. I've never attempted the horror that is marcasite. @Arlene_V what's wrong with the star brooch? It looks awfully good from here. It looks like it has a stone or two gone, but I see the pin stem.

14. Arlene_V

Arlene_V Active Member

@evelyb30 here's a pic of the back of the brooch. The top half of the brooch broke off and is missing.

IMG_0319.JPG

Any Jewelry, kyratango and judy like this.
  15. Marie Forjan

What a shame :sorry:

On another note, is it just me or do these lovely pins remind anyone else of pomegranate seeds ;)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure do; I think that's deliberate. It's a shame about the poor star. I might say "it's supposed to be like that" and wear as is.

17. Marie Forjan

Arlene's gift arrived Friday and here is the repaired pin :):):)

Thank you again Arlene!

BhmnGrntPin.jpg

18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow! Generous, friendly help from Arlene, and awesome repair Marie! It is gorgeous. :kiss:

Arlene_V likes this.
  19. Marie Forjan

I love it, now I have to decide if I want to sell it or keep it!

i need help and Arlene_V like this.
  20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

That's quite a keeper. :) They are only going up in value.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted