Bols pottery bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andy111, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Andy111

Andy111 New Member

Hullo there. I bought this from a newely opened antique store a couple of days ago in England for just £2. I dont think it’s an actual antique (100 yrs) but i just liked it. Does anyone know how old this bottle is? Or any info in general? From a google search I found this-

“Stamped Erven (sometime Ervan) Lucas Bols Amsterdam These pottery bottles are very common. the 1880-1910 bottles are wheel thrown and more highly collectible than the molded later bottles”

So can anyone tell if it’s “wheel thrown” or not? Because that should help date it apparently. From my limited experience i don't think it's wheel turned. so post 1910? are any of you able to close in on a date? Or any other info at all would be great, any info at all. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They may well still be using them. The detaied specifications of the alcohol content in by volume and British and US proof standards implies the more detailed product labelling of the later 20th C.
    My guess would be after 1970.

Any Jewelry, Andy111 and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is molded, not wheel thrown.
    Yes, they are. But the language and spelling of the smaller label at the bottom, together with a reference to her majesty, makes me think pre-1934, when there was a spelling reform. Her majesty in this period was queen Wilhelmina, who was inaugurated in 1898.

The ebay listing says their bottle dates from 1868. However, the 1868 date on the label refers to a law of that date, and has nothing to do with the date of the bottle.
    I have never seen 'ervan' instead of erven. Erven means heirs. Lucas Bols died ca 1700, so the company was owned by his heirs.
    Ervan means thereof, which doesn't make sense in this case.

i need help likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

One way liquor bottles can be dated is by the name of the distributor on the label. (Unfortunately, yours doesn't give one.) But the bottle on eBay clearly doesn't date from 1868 (!) because the label gives the distributor as Erven Lucas BOLS Distilling Co. of Louisville, KY and Bols didn't even open a U.S. distillery until 1947.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given measurements in both U.S. and metric units, I would think later rather than earlier as designed for an international audience. Might even have been a duty free item.

Debora

7. Any Jewelry

Bols started exporting worldwide in the days of Lucas Bols, ca 1700. They were an Amsterdam firm, so if there was money in it, they'd find a way to get it wherever they could.;)
    They won prizes at several 19th century world fairs, so I am pretty sure they were exporting to the US before Wilhelmina ascended the throne in 1898.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to their web site, Bols first started importing Genever to the U.S. in 1823.

Debora

9. Any Jewelry

Nice, that is long before the reign of Wilhelmina and the spelling change of 1934.

Draft saved Draft deleted