Bone China Jug with moulded swags and basket

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jun 16, 2020.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I recently bought this 6” tall jug on eBay.

it’s something of an enigma as the enamelled floral sprigs are very much in the style of New Hall and others c1800 but I have been unable to find another piece moulded with swags and a basket (which are also hand enamelled).

The style of the jug would date it to c1820-30 and I’ve seen plenty of creamers from that period with similarly moulded spots.

I doubt that anybody will know the maker but just wondered if anyone has seen similar.
    EC235AD7-EC9D-45DD-81D9-4D4A7C9641DE.jpeg 9670BEE9-5F06-40A1-A1A7-FC03FD64EA37.jpeg 9BFDE9A8-5374-4961-B6BE-D92513C4A713.jpeg
    thanks

John

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. say_it_slowly

From An Illustrated Guide to British Jugs by Henrywood. Similar shape and handle with similar molding on spout but no body molding.

upload_2020-6-16_11-8-40.png

4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes the basket is moulded too. I don’t have that book. I have the anthology of creamers. Will have to get a copy.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

I looked through A Cabinet of British Creamers by Berthoud without seeing one like it either. The closest really (not close) was another Daniel creamer with some molding and a squared handle. I have a few more books to try if no one has any idea.

img20200616_112455.jpg

John Brassey likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted