Bone China teacup - info and valuation wanted

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by VintageByNature, Apr 7, 2020.

1. I've got this cup, when I hold it to the light it is translucent so I believe it to be fine bone china. It is clearly hand-painted, in quite a quaint manner - original paint? Unsure of anything and keen to learn basically ...

Hallmark from careful looking and google appears to be 'Staffordshire Tableware'. However, it is faint and hard to make out even under a magnifier. There is a batch number evident also, 53963 ..... Input welcomed .... !

:)

Attached Files:

Sandra likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

This formation of marks was used by Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co. Ltd. after 1906 and before the 1930's, when "Fine Bone China" was added above the crown and England at the base of the insignia. I could not find a reference to "Tableware" written as part of the trademark.

3. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

You can't get valuations on these boards. You will get the relevant info for researching the values yourself, if you get all the info you need to do that. Having said that, your cup looks to have a big crack running down it. I cannot see any value in this cup whatsoever. A lot of the Crown Staffordshire stuff is quite nice. It does not rank with the better manufacturers such as Minton and Crown Derby.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would date the cup to pre WWI
    Nice, but without the saucer and with the bad crack there really isn't any value to speak of.

These are the kind of things I put out in the garden, on it's side, partialy buried, or with a plant in it. I have a hard time throwing things out.

judy, VintageByNature and i need help like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

Or I also have a pile of broken china that I intend to use as mosaics for stepping stones.

If you get enough broken china people will buy it for crafts.

judy, VintageByNature and i need help like this.
  6. Thank you all for wonderful inputs! I think I might put a plant in it :blackeye:

Will be posting more soon, this is fun, and thanks also for the etiquette tips on asking for valuations :chicken:

judy and Sandra like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

The problem with pricing is that there are so many variables.
    What part of the country you are in?
    How will you sell it? Store, on line, garage sale, Facebook, Craigslist, etc.

The best way to see what people are willing to pay for an item is to find the same or similar item on ebay completeds. It shows how many were listed, which sold and for how much. Remember they are also paying shipping, and the buyer considers that as part of the cost.

If your cup had been in good shape with the saucer. Someone probably would have linked to a similar one. As it was, there was too much wrong with the cup.

It doesn't hurt to ask for a value particularly on furniture. Some people might tell you how they would price an item. Some may tell you we don't do values.

judy likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It probably says England instead of Tableware, and the red numbers are the pattern.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Not 100 % sure, but it might be a variation of the “Chinese Landscape” pattern. Black background makes me think 1920s/1930s.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Gaudy blue willow.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted