Bone or Ivory?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by storangesandlemons, Jun 4, 2021.

1. IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4224.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4228.JPG IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4233.JPG Not sure about material, whether it is bone or ivory. Item is antique and I believe made prior to 1947. It does have a bit of weight to it, very small approx 1" - 2"

Also, does anyone know why there are extra holes in the back?

thank you for any help : )

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2021
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome. It looks like ivory to me, particularly in the first pic. The extra holes appear to be for a larger, heavier pin than the one there now.

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  3. Thank you! After comparing and research I was thinking it was ivory, but I wasn't 100% sure

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting piece, and for sure the pin has been changed.....I'm seeing two areas that for some reason are making me think there is paint on this pin and those two areas that I circled seem to have been missed....certainly hope I'm wrong!!!! @Bronwen, your opinion, & @Any Jewelry ???

IMG_4228-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.JPG

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ivory..........imo

kyratango and Bronwen like this.

6. The first circled area has a small hole near the fingers and is actually a green tint, I was wondering if perhaps the hand held something at one point? The circled area at bottom I think is white, possibly photo messed with colors

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If the little hole on the front, the left hand circle, goes through to the back, green could be verdigris from current or past brass pin fitting. On the right there's an area of glare, not sure what you're seeing on that side. I don't see signs of paint, but I often miss/misinterpret things in pix.

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice storages. I always love hand in glove jewellery.
    Although the first photo seems to have faint ivory-like striations, I can't see any in the other photos. The rough finish of the back and carving 'blob' on the little finger point to bone or an early plastic.
    Those hands sometimes hold a small bunch of flowers. It could be green from where the bunch was attached.

Draft saved Draft deleted