Book sellers some input please

Discussion in 'Books' started by pearlsnblume, May 10, 2020.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi all
    I always pick up vintage cookbooks at sales and some of them have plastic combs for the binding.
    Here is my question. Do books with plastic combs have to go in a box? Or can they go in a padded plain mailer with 2 pieces of cardboard on either side as well as bubble wrap?

This is not mine but this is an example of what I mean. I am not selling the books as lot, mostly just one at a time. Thanks in advance.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lo...777888?hash=item2893d31c20:g:NOkAAOSwNI5euHlR

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If mine, I'd send in a padded mailer well wrapped (as you described) and would be confident that would arrive undamaged. That said... as postage via USPS Media Mail, a box likely won't add to cost.

Debora

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. pearlsnblume

Thanks Debora. It is so hard to find the right size box for various books like these and I am not good at making my own boxes.
    Agreed Media Mail is a great deal price wise even with a box.
    Thanks I feel more confident now.

judy, Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I also factor in the cost and ease of finding packing materials because effects profit on small ticket items. Padded mailers cost 50¢ to $1.50 while boxes can sometimes be free because of recycling.

Debora

5. pearlsnblume

Very true Debora. I have to keep a lot of padded mailers here because I sell NIP sheets and linens as well as craft kits NIP. I buy about 50 mailers at a time so I have them here and that helps make it more cost effective. So now I can use them for these kinds of books too which is a relief.:p

I haven't been finding the right size boxes to use much in my apt building here of late and when I go to the grocery store, I try to get in and out as fast as possible and that is where I got some boxes in the past for books.

I also add a $1 handling fee on to my shipping costs to offset the cost of supplies.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're very well organized and strategic about what you do.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. pearlsnblume

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd watch out with some of those comb-back books. The old ones have been known to crack at a dirty look. I wouldn't put the old stuff in an envelope.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think I would put that type of binding in an envelope without a box around it.

You might consider cutting down a cereal box. Wrap the book in paper/cellowrap cutting the cereal box down to fit, and putting that in a padded envelop.
    l
    Media mail is cheaper, but media in boxes is heavy and your package may end up on the bottom of the pile. If you ship media mail, it needs to be in a box.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. pearlsnblume

Ok, thanks guys. I was going to use cardboard to put on both sides of the book and then wrap that in bubble wrap..
    Oy I have to think more about this.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those plastic things like to come apart at the seams. Boxed is best. I'd bubble and then box, but I'm OCD about packing.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted