Featured Books and Bookcases

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ghopper1924, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

We're living in the time of the Twilight of the Book, and the decline of literacy that goes with it.

Well, I've been a reader and bibliophile all my life. They're not just a colorful decorating scheme for the home: books are living things, capable of imparting great knowledge and taking you to faraway places, all without flicking a switch. I love the look, feel, and.....yes....smell of books.There's nothing like a book in the hand on a lazy winter day to let you know that life's worth living!

So instead of moaning about "these kids today," I'm going to celebrate this passion of mine by posting a few pictures. I hope you'll do the same!!

Here's a few words of explanation:

The first one is a cylinder desk only 33" wide, walnut ca. 1890. The books above include My Book House, O. Henry, Shakespeare, and Trollope.

The second is oak, been in the family since 1915. It contains architecture and art books.

The third is a pair of Globe-Wernicke oak bookcases, also ca. 1915. The books are Thomas Ligotti, Jim Harrison, Donna Tartt, James Crumley, David Sedaris, art, history of American material culture and customs, etc.

Last is a walnut bookcase in the family since ca. 1860. It has presidential bios, Harlan Ellison, John Grisham, and WWII books.

The good thing is that the bookcases in 3 out of 4 of these photos are from family. The price was right! So grateful to have had book-loving ancestors!

How about posting some pics of your own?

P1010297.JPG P1010296.JPG P1010298.JPG P1010299.JPG

Neal Andres, Iouri, dude and 21 others like this.
  2. sch3gsd

sch3gsd Well-Known Member

Wow, I love all of these, especially the first one.

dude, Joshua Brown, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Lovely bookcases Ghopper .. all of them, I'm rather partial to #1 .. love it's slim lines and 'look'. As for books I love them too, I have many, mostly History. Anyway .. I also hope that books will continue to be published , in the hope that the young will be able to enjoy them as much as we have .. I have my doubts though :( ... Joy.

dude, Joshua Brown, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

All Beautiful, Ghopper! Thank you for sharing. :)

dude, Joshua Brown, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Thanks! How 'bout some photos, Christmasjoy? Love to see those history books.

dude, Joshua Brown, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

...My Bookhouse!! So glad that someone else knows about them!

7. Christmasjoy

Actually I don't have a camera .. but maybe I can rope my workaholic son in to do the honors, :) .. Joy.

Aquitaine, dude, Joshua Brown and 5 others like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

They are all beautiful but the first one is drop-dead gorgeous!

Aquitaine, dude, Joshua Brown and 5 others like this.
  9. Christmasjoy

Please just call me Joy, my posting name is from the fact that my Mother was hell-bent on naming me Christmas Joy until my Father disagreed with her, THANK GOODNESS !!! .. Joy.:joyful:

dude, Joshua Brown, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  10. Ghopper1924

I said Silverthwait was the best, and the comment about My Bookhouse only confirms it!

Ours have been in my wife's family since the 1920s. Gorgeous illustrations.

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I moved so much until about 12 years ago that I never really kept a lot of books,but Ive got a stack of library cards from many different cities because that was always the first thing I did when I landed somewhere. It saddens me greatly that not one of my nieces,nephews or relatives are readers like mom and I .One of my biggest fears about aging is not being able to read.Its so much a part of my life.

12. Ghopper1924

Grab that workaholic son of yours, Joy! I know he'll get some great pictures.

dude, Joshua Brown, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  13. Ghopper1924

Beautiful sentiments, Johnny. I read 3 books in the past week, and don't wish to imagine a life without them.

14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I love ALL your furnishings!

I could move right in and not change a thing!!:)

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

books have taken a backseat to anything else i can fit here....:happy:

P1010026.JPG

dude, Autodidact, Pat P and 12 others like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Stained glass....awesome. Love the stuff, a happy orca, lots of personality.......exactly what I'd expect!!

17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Oh so pretty. I am partial to the second and third ones.
    I am not a big reader sadly. But I could read and read and read cookbooks as if they were novels.:p Have been that way since I was a teen.

18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I find that fascinating!!

And do you love to cook as well as read the recipes?

19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi Judy, well I used to love to bake. But since I now have to be Gluten Free, my buying of cook books has ceased unless I am buying to sell them. I do look thru them before I sell them as they still make great reads for me.
    I did some cooking, but much preferred baking.

20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I've always preferred to bake myself.....I have no dietary restrictions, thank goodness.....just calories!!:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted