Boots Are They Military? Paratrooper?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by ascot, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Got these boots today and am wondering if they're military. DH thinks they may be paratrooper boots as they have a hard toe and hard heel. They have 8 grommet holes. The soles are rubber, and the heel is marked Good Year while the sole is marked B F Goodrich. There's no brand name anywhere, but on the top exterior it says 8 R, then GJ in a rectangle, then 3-64. 8 R is the size as it's also on the insole.

Any help with age, and if military, branch and date/era or war would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Look like Marines or Army but guessing.

komokwa likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Airborne style

Disco

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Are you saying they're not really military, just disco dancing boots?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. terry5732

Do you have a military label? NSN?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I don't know what NSN means, but no, there's no label.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Look like pretty standard work boots.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I have no problem with them being just work boots, though I'm still curious about the numbers and letters stamped around the ankle--the GJ 3-64. I guess it could be the model number.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are lovely boots....

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Goodrich does make the oil resistant rubberized work boot soles!

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

They look very similar to Vietnam era Marine combat boots. The pattern on the soles and heels look identical to several pair of early Nam era (early 1960s) boots being sold on ebay at the moment. Some of the sellers say they are by Goodyear while others say Goodrich. The few I've been able to see and and actually count the grommels look to be 9 or 10 grommels; however, with yours only a size 8 may account for less grommels?? One of the auction description says:

"Original Pair of Early Viet Nam era US Black Leather "McNamara " M 1962 combat boots. Boots incorporate Good Year soles and heels in UN-WORN condition. Boots feature a October 1964 production date with rear stitch seam. Defense Secretary Robert McNamara and the Whiz kids mandated a cost cutting production streamlining of the 1948 classic combat boot of the late 1950's. This October 1964 date boot would have been issued to all combat personnel entering Viet Nam in 1965 and then replaced by the tropical jungle boot..."

Note it says "Boots feature a October 1964 production date with rear stitch seam." I wonder if the "3-64" on the rear stitch seam of yours is for the date March 1964.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351948670272?rmvSB=true

This pair has identical sole/heel except it has BF Goodrich on both sole and heel bit has GJ in a square on the rear seam like yours with 8 68 that may be the date, Aug 1968:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vtg-60s-Viet...932331?hash=item3ac50af32b:g:RmMAAOSwbYZXU3co

--- Susan

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  13. komokwa

A little out of your wheelhouse.....but good detective work...

KingofThings likes this.
  14. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ladybranch. I looked at the Ebay listings too and there are many similar and some almost identical to mine claiming to be Vietnam era boots. Most are saying the numbers such as 3-64 indicate the date. The letters preceding seem to vary, so maybe there's something significant about them?

KingofThings likes this.
  15. terry5732

That number scheme is the same as on US issue ones

Real ones would also have a bunch of print inside the upper and a sewn in label inside the tongue. The ebay listings look like made up information to sell them. The sole does not match any US military boots. These could have been made at that time for another military or could have been for industrial sale.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. ghostman777

ghostman777 New Member

I have boots just like these, not really an old military style, if it is I don't know where it's from. It might be a Vietnam era paratrooper boot.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Eric1961

Eric1961 New Member

The boots are Jump boots and the 3 64 is the mfg date. The 8 r (reg) medium. Still trying to figure out the GJ meaning

18. komokwa

Draft saved Draft deleted