Featured Bought another sautoir. And things....

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I actually bought the sautoir at auction. Seller thought Czech, it could be. The little "locket" doesn't open and is on a ridiculous modern chain. Back looks gold. Ffities necklace and a nice sterling brooch rounded it all off!

P1200596 small.JPG P1200595 small.JPG P1200593 small.JPG P1200577 small.JPG P1200579 small.JPG P1200576 small.JPG P1200551 small.JPG P1200592 small.JPG P1200578 small.JPG P1200575.JPG

KSW, quirkygirl, bercrystal and 14 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Classic 20s, but no idea if it is Czech. The beads probably are.
    Pwetty.:)
    Arts & Crafts?

KSW, johnnycb09, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

I'd think around that A&C period. The stone isn't glass, not quite sure what it is though. The locket, I suspect is early. As in late Georgian. I need to get it off the stupid chain. Which is silver, but about five minutes old.

Yes, beads might well be Czech, but as to where it was made.....!

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The locket thing looks to contain real pearls? Can't imagine what it once could have been, so much metal missing! Do those look like real pearls to you too, Bear? Does that look like a real ruby?:smuggrin:

IvaPan likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If the undecorated side of the 'locket' is stone, I imagine the intention was to have that side engraved, & the pendant to be worn with either side facing out. It does look sometime Regency to early Vic.

antidiem, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What does the back of the brooch look like? Glass or stone, looks hand faceted, not molded. Natural citrine perhaps.

antidiem, KSW, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I like the idea of the back being engraved. Hang on, Louping now.

Hm. I've stared at the back, and it's actually glass, or something very clear, over black woven fabric. I can just make out the weave under a loupe. So the glass was made to be levered off, somehow and hair added, I think.

I'll get a shot of the back of the little brooch. It's early 20th ish. Yes, hand faceted and no bubbles.

antidiem, KSW, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hair locket makes sense. The chain it's on is a perfectly nice chain; it's just all wrong for a locket that age.

9. Ownedbybear

@antidiem - yes, half seed pearls and a wee ruby cabouchon. There's not actually much missing. A little bit of the blue enamel.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice finds, again! I especially like the brooch.

KSW, Bronwen, Lucille.b and 1 other person like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Love the lockety one and the brooch! What stone is in the brooch?

12. Ownedbybear

Forgot to photo, arg.

Yeah, the chain is fine and worth more than I paid for the both of them. It just SO doesn't match. ;)

antidiem and KSW like this.
  13. antidiem

It's really nice and old. Amazed to be able to recognize the little pearls and ruby! Your pictures are great to capture the detail. It is my brain that has the problem to understand what I am looking at..

Do you think the pearl-ruby decoration is original to this piece? I do, but I cannot exactly tell how it is held in place there? :) It looks stuck into the blue glass (enamel)?

Is the hair (fabric) encased beneath it and in between the silver back? Is that what tan colored stuff is coming up from the bottom of your photo in the blue area?

The gold color on the back looks like 14k? Is it gold, or possibly gold filled? It looks like true gold color to me, and rolled gold was not yet invented, unless this would be a very early version of it. ;)

KSW likes this.
  14. antidiem

Is that "see through" enamel of some sort? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted