Featured Bought this today, palladium diamonds and sapphire.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MrMadhatter, May 7, 2018.

1. MrMadhatter

MrMadhatter Active Member

Or at least i think is is! Hi everyone:) , this ring is marked "palla" inside the shank with numbers on the other side - the clear stones test as Diamond and the blue stone indicates sapphire.

Anyone like to take a guess at age or country of origin? looks deco? iv not heard of palladium being used that much? what do you guys think of this one? i have done photos in both shade and sunlight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome Hatter. Not my area of expertise but think those who know better will want photo(s) of marks.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. MrMadhatter

Thank you Bronwen:) I will attempt to get some photos of marks.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum MrMadhatter.
    We would like to see other views as well, the side, top view, the back of the stones, to get a good impression of the entire ring.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to the forum @MrMadhatter !!!! A nice close-up of that LOVELY ring would also be lovely!!!!:):)

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. MrMadhatter

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone:), here is some more photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Annoyingly someone has filed into the shank at some point but luckily its nowhere near as bad as it looks in the last photo, infact i only just noticed that when taking the photo..

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The pics need to be under 1 MB.......

8. MrMadhatter

Oh dear are they not showing properly? i will go and resize them all if you guys cant see them, showing fine here though.

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Too hard to see the "hallmarks",there is 85 with something in front of it.Palla may just be the maker/store mark,palladium has been used in jewelry for at least 100 years.

10. MrMadhatter

Thats a good point it could just be a makers mark, i just asumed because they are diamonds it would probably be palladium.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

LIbraryLady likes this.
  12. MrMadhatter

Thanks everlyb30:) i dont know how much insurance appraisals cost these days and i know the valuations are wildly optimistic but im half tempted to get one just to know exactly what it is..i think its pretty old, way before palladium hallmarking was needed.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Hollyblue

If the other marks were clear and enlarged someone may be able to identify more.It is also possible the stone is a synthetic.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. MrMadhatter

I dont think i can get much closer pictures of the marks, the mark with the numbers looks like a part worn "P" then a symbol, and its a worn number 9 before the 85.

I guess the stone being synthetic is always a strong possibility, but the diamonds are real at least. is there anyway to know if the sapphire is natural without expensive lab testing?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. evelyb30

16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It does look like "985" so wouldnt that mean its almost pure ? Would they put synthetic stones in such an expensive setting? This might be important enough to have a jeweler look at it,ceylon sapphires are very pricey. If you all click on the picture twice it magnifies it greatly.

cxgirl likes this.
  17. Hollyblue

In the early 20th century synthetic rubies and sapphires were the stones to have and usually set with real diamonds.The synthetics were the perfect color,no inclusions and for the price could be larger than natural stones.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  18. evelyb30

Back in the 30s, sure. Synthetic sapphires were dead common in Deco jewelry.

Mugzinnys and Bronwen like this.
  19. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

DDF150A6-4083-44CE-B9A7-00BD1323A5DA.jpeg
    I tried to enhance this one.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree. I have an 18 KT gold Art Deco ring with a PLASTIC ruby. It is such a weird thing. My uncle wore it from 1925 until he died in 1972. It was given to me. I was thinking about replacing it with a synthetic ruby but never did, one of my young nephew loves it so he will get it when I pass.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted