Bowl with hallmarks, help identify please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fettan4, Aug 5, 2020.

1. fettan4

fettan4 Active Member

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a Swedish bowl....

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are you thinking Swedish because of the crowned M?

In the Swedish system the M town code for Malmo (with 2 little dots over the o) is not crowned. There are also no 3 crowns mark and no date code.

I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Well the form reminded me of Dutch/Swedish but the third impressed symbol in oval made me think that.

5. Bakersgma

It's a bit mangled, but that does look like a 2 handled urn that I have seen used on silverplated pieces from one of the Scandinavian countries (don't remember which one and of course I cannot find one now. ;) :()

6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Maybe Spanish colonial Mexican or Mexican with fake Spanish colonial marks. @DragonflyWink probably knows.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

8. Bakersgma

Sorry, but not even close, Nate.

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can't say it looks Scandinavian or Dutch to me - my immediate thought, like Anund's, was Spanish Colonial. Looks okay to me, but there were a lot of forgeries produced in Mexico, and I'm certainly no expert - might suggest contacting an organization like the Spanish Colonial Arts Society in Santa Fe:
    https://www.spanishcolonial.org/contact.html

See marks #5 below, from Boylan's 'Spanish Colonial Silver' (1974), marks reproduced from Anderson's 'The Art of the Silversmith in Mexico 1519-1936' (1941):

75202023524.jpg

~Cheryl

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sure looks like # 5.........!!!!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Too 'chunky' for Dutch. (For lack of a better word :sorry:)

12. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

13. lizjewel

I am with Cheryl on this one, probably Mexico. On the image Cheryl put up the Crowned M is present, also a stylized GNZ [N and Z contracted on the image we're discussing] and a version of the stamp with two curved arms, wings, or perhaps depicting a cactus (?).

All three are shown in the middle horizontal row on Cheryl's image. Not exactly alike but close enough to have been used by either the same silver atelier or an intentional copy of their marks.

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

For clarity - the marks on that page are identified as assayer, quality and tax, the quality marks shown are Mexican eagles...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    anundverkaufen and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. lizjewel

16. Any Jewelry

Hence the term 'Mexican eagle mark'.;)

DragonflyWink likes this.
  17. fettan4

fettan4 Active Member

Thank you so much for the information. It seems you are right! So this is actually sterling silver? Not silverplated?
    The item is "heavy".

18. fettan4

fettan4 Active Member

Thank you so much for the information. It seems you are right! So this is actually sterling silver? Not silverplated?
    The item is "heavy".

19. Any Jewelry

Although the eagle stamp is supposed to be for sterling silver, older Mexican pieces with eagle stamps aren't always sterling silver, they used other finenesses as well. Often higher than sterling, but not always. Most were sterling, but they used anything from .900-.950. Sterling is .925.

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  20. Silver

Silver Active Member

It is a beautiful piece!

Draft saved Draft deleted