Boy girl reading are these plaster or bisque or something else?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I would appreciate some help on identifying these figurines. They are interesting but don't look particularly well done. They look like they may have and oriental quality to them. I don't know if they are chalk/plaster or bisque.The material is porous but not real light. Each measures about 2.5" tall. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

They look like Chalkware to me.

i need help, Miscstuff and patd8643 like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

+1

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Can apparently be identical or at least closely related:

Definition of chalkware on Wikipedia:
    Chalkware is an American term for popular figurines either made of moulded plaster of Paris (usually) or sculpted gypsum, and painted, typically with oils or watercolors. ... Early chalkware was often hollow and is difficult to find unblemished.

Don

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. Kevolee

Thank you for the lesson. And jogging my memory of plaster of Paris from elementary school. Any suggestions on age or origin?

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree they have an Oriental look to them but without an in-mold mark it's very difficult to tell for sure. If they were an import they most likely had a paper or foil label, neither of which adheres well to this type of material. The style looks depression era to me but that's just a guess. The condition of the paint would really hurt any value they might have had. And honestly most chalkware/plaster of Paris items don't have much value to begin with. Sorry I can't provide any more specific information.
    Don

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I wonder if they were originally mounted to bases, and served as bookends. I do see similar bookends but not certain of the size. Maybe these are small for that.

8. Kevolee

Thanks, there does look to be a small piece of paper on the bottom right of figure on the right, but I can't tell if it was a sticker from a maker or a past sale.

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted