Featured Bracelet - Mexican, Navajo, or someone's garage?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by smallaxe, Apr 24, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

This bracelet was in my mother's jewelry box as long as I can remember (early 1960's). She said her brother gave it to her as a gift. My memory is that she said she got it before she was married. That would put it in the time period of the late 1930's to the early 1950's. I've always thought it was crudely made and figured it was inexpensive, Mexican faux Navajo jewelry. They didn't have money for nice things, so I'm sure it was not expensive when purchased. I'm not even sure the stone is turquoise, as it's more green than blue, and mostly featureless. But I know nothing about jewelry, so I'm hoping someone here can tell me what is likely is. I've searched high and low very closely and find no marks at all.
    TurqBracelet1s.jpg TurqBracelet2s.jpg TurqBracelet3s.jpg TurqBracelet4s.jpg

judy, KSW, Christmasjoy and 1 other person like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like it wants to be Navajo, sooo badly !!!
    but i would say it's not...

judy, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I know you said you didn't see any marks but this spot makes me want to ask if it's just a spot of tarnish or if it could be a tiny mark.

I lived in AZ as a child and loved the Navajo as well as the Mexican jewelry. I'm sorry that I don't know enough to help here.

upload_2020-4-24_21-6-6.png

judy, KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@say_it_slowly, it looks like there might be either a very POOR mark or remnants of a mark.....hardly discernible.....I'm not sure trying to get a better image will help.........wait....edited a bit.....GOOD EYE, BTW S-I-S!!!!

POSS MARKS-gigapixel-scale-4x.jpeg

judy, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  5. smallaxe

I can see how that looks like it might be a mark in the photo, but looking at it real close with good light, it is definitely just a small area of darker tarnish.

judy and KSW like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first reaction right off was Mexican. Those side decorations look like cacti.

Gus Tuason, judy and KSW like this.
  7. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Another vote for Mexican.
    The twisted wire cuff is not typical NA. The stamping is all wrong, too. Have you tested the metal?
    And the stone looks suspicious, as well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. smallaxe

I haven't tested the metal. It's not something I'm knowledgeable about. The metal does appear to have some amount of silver. I'm open to testing it though.

Draft saved Draft deleted