bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by smpenny62, Jan 14, 2019.

1. smpenny62

smpenny62 New Member

I bought a bracelet at a thrift shop and it's yellow like gold. It has a marking with 700 in an oval shape. It also has another mark on it, I don't know what it means. it looks antique. can you tell me what it is

IMG_0776.JPG IMG_0774.JPG

KSW and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Have you had it tested, or are you able to test it yourself?
    If the 700 mark refers to gold, it would be slightly under 17k, which seems unlikely.
    If it refers to silver (goldplated?) it would be a fineness of .700, which is also unusual. I know Lebanon has used .700 silver in the past.
    SBD is probably the manufacturer.

KSW, scoutshouse, judy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's a curb chain and they are still being made.No way to date it without identifying the maker's mark.

KSW, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  4. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

The 700 means it is 18k gold and European. I did find a CBS gold company that makes jewelry. You could start there.

5. Any Jewelry

If it applies to gold content, 700 is slightly under 17k which is 707(+ a bit). I don't know of any European country that uses either 700 or 17k.

18k gold is 750, and widely used in Continental Europe. It is also used in many other parts of the world.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    popsycat, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Jaime Riggs

Website I got info from says different, but probably not reputable. I couldn't find an American company with the N in a circle, still think it is European. Let me see if I can relocate the site.

7. Jaime Riggs

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_s_700_gold_mark

It was on a questions and answers for gold site:

"This three digit mark you see stamped on gold is called a 'hallmark'. A 700 - 750 mark on the gold means its 18 karat gold and also means its of European origin. meaning it was created or molded there."

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  8. Jaime Riggs

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not sure where they got the answers from,but many are false or misleading....

FALSE

What markings tell you its gold or gold plated?
    Pure gold has the marking "24K" Less then pure, but homogeneous alloy have marking like "18K" "9K" "10goldfilled" etc. Plating does not and should not have marking

10. Jaime Riggs

This is for American gold, not European.

11. Any Jewelry

The link you added was answers.com, not a very trustworthy site.
    The link you added was for streetdirectory.com. Not a gold jewelry authenticating site.
    Any site that claims to a authenticate gold jewelry is not to be trusted, imo.

When in doubt, as you should be with unusual finenesses or marks, it is best to check assay offices or well respected books on precious metals.
    Here is a site I always recommend to anyone starting out in exploring European precious metal marking:
    https://theassayoffice.com/legislation/international-convention-marks-a

I live in Europe, by the way, and am an advisor for a European gold and silver jewellery site, part of a general information site on collectables. We don't claim to authenticate precious metal finenesses, only explain styles, marks, assay systems, etc.

KSW, reader, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  12. Jaime Riggs

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's utter nonsense, I'm afraid. 700 is NEVER an 18 carat mark. 750 is 18 carat. It refers to the number of parts per thousand of pure gold. Given that pure gold is 24 carat, simple maths explains how 750 is 18 carat. 750 is indeed used in Europe and on some UK hallmarks.

popsycat, KSW, Houseful and 4 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

The UBS mark, different from the mark on the bracelet:

[​IMG]

Moreover, UBS is Indonesian, not European.
    Indonesia follows international gold and silver standards, so their 18k is always 750.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  15. Jaime Riggs

Wow, did we forget our coffee this am? lol Having been called ridiculous before for trying to help. I have been doing jewelry for many years, found that 700 is 18k on several accredited sites. I don't know the company, still looking. Just a suggestions. I see other people make suggestions that aren't correct and they are not treated like that. Good luck OP with your 18k gold bracelet, it is lovely!

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. Jaime Riggs

And I am not SAYING it is UK, it could be from any other country, just not USA.

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I didn't see suggestions, you were very definite in your answer:
    And when people disagree you call it a suggestion?
    Accredited in what way? By the International Convention of Hallmarks? Somehow I don't think so.

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

No reputable site would ever claim 700 was 18 carat gold. Nor would any reputable expert or seller.

19. Any Jewelry

No one said you were.
    And there is no difference between UK, the European Continent, Indonesia. Gold standards are international, 18k is 18k, wherever it originates from.

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so was this.....

just under 17ct... 16.8ct to be exact. 700 stands for 70% pure gold, and so if 24ct is pure then 70% of 24 is 16.8 :)

no one fact checks any of these answers...so anyone can say anything...

reader, James Conrad, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted