Brass Bell

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Katy Adams, May 1, 2018.

1. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

Found this at a garage sale. 3inches tall 3 inches wide. Writing on the side as much as i can read may 11.15? US there is more not sure what it says.

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello Katy. My guess is that the bell is in some way a souvenir of the church/cathedral shown, either the building or maybe the acquisition of a new bell(s). What is written is in Latin. The photos are dark & only show it in fragments. Can you transcribe the letters you see? Don't worry if you don't know where the words break. For starters, 'Dei' means 'of God' or 'God's'.

3. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

Thank you. I will add some pics of the writing.

4. Bronwen

It might be easier for us if you wrote down the writing, since there is no way to see it all at once in photos.

5. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

Ok will do

6. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

I wrote it down. Thank you

Attached Files:

7. Bronwen

It's a start. Did not realize you were having difficulty making out individual letters/numbers. When you can, maybe better if you show us after all, preferably with a bit more light.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yer makin a lot of work for the poor girl......:playful::playful::playful::playful:

9. Bronwen

Do I get to say, Not as much as Katy did for us? Can't read it if I can't see it. If I can't read it, not a chance in heaven of figuring out what it is unless someone recognizes the church right off.

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes of course....

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

Sorry guys i have been on nana duty. My husband has a way better phone. So this is one side i will upload the other thanks for your patience

Attached Files:

komokwa likes this.
  12. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

Ok i feel like i ran a marathon.:meh: Hope all that helps:joyful:

Attached Files:

LIbraryLady, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Hi Katy, Haven't abandoned you, but see now the difficulty. Trying to chip away at it.

Think the inscription starts on the right when you have the bell with the church facing front, so the second set of pix are the first part. The end of the first part may be AUG for Augustus, in this context probably meaning venerable, applying to the person named before that. Could the name be (Rev.) Samper? The very first bit is tough. I'm probably looking at a stray bit of metal, but see the possibility of RET, with the T in superscript. Maybe cast upon the retirement of this cleric? Seems more likely to me to have been to commemorate the elevation or installation.

The second part maybe starts with abbreviation MAX? What I think I see after that - ILISRUS - makes no sense, so wrong. The very end I think is DEI GRA & short for Dei gratia, by the the grace of God.

If this is the person in question, hair suggests maybe 18th century:

upload_2018-5-2_1-19-5.png

Now that I've babbled on about all that, did Katy actually have a question?

Katy Adams likes this.
  14. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Perhaps after the II it reads AGNUS DEI. Just a guess.

Katy Adams and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

upload_2018-5-2_1-44-33.png
    upload_2018-5-2_1-44-57.png
    upload_2018-5-2_1-45-21.png

Between bits of the letters that are missing & all the stray marks, hard to know what goes with what. Could be II. Then I __ NUS instead of RUS, but the letter before the N/R...? We have an example of a G & R after DEI & a definite S there at the end. So the squiggle is a ___? It would be his title. Not having any luck finding a suitable ecclesiastical title in Latin.

Katy Adams likes this.
  16. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

I really did'nt have a question. I really wanted to learn
    about it and maybe its history. I think this will stay with me. Thank you so much for your knowledge. Just a thought buying antiques to sell will probably make me a hoarder.lol;):D

SBSVC and Bronwen like this.
  17. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Tourist souvenir bell, probably vintage. Marks and images on a bell like this imo make no difference in value of the item unless they put it into a highly-collected category, for example, Statue of Liberty, Lincoln, etc. there’s a bell collector website u could post it on if you want more detailed info, can’t find my bookmark at the moment.

Maybe one of these, visit them and see best ones for your question. I had many medium bells (100-400 lbs) till I sold them to Brosamer 25 years ago. I kept one 18th C. Dutch bell until I sold to a Dutch cannon collector a few mos. ago.

https://americanbell.org/bell-sites/

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Katy Adams and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Now I get to say, Katy didn't. :happy:

LIbraryLady and SBSVC like this.
  19. Katy Adams

Katy Adams New Member

HEHE.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Katy Adams