Brass...box thing with lid but not box. What is it called? Indian? xx

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BoudiccaJones, Sep 6, 2018.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hello, cannot look for one of these because I cannot think what the h*ck a lidded thing would be called? Is it Indian? Saw some similar spire/mushroom things things described as Indian.

It has circles under so I think it's done on some sort of tool? It's approx 4 inches including the lid xx

Not even sure it's old so apoligies if not...just wnanted to know what it's called. Lidded...something
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

First thing that comes to mind for me is trinket box or jar. You are right about being a machined piece.

3. BoudiccaJones

Thank you Sabre x x x
    I did try trinket box but isn't a box square? But that's how I found out it look like Indian stuff so wasn't all a waste of time. Many thanks x x ( I sort of hoped there was a name I was stupidly not thinking of but I think trinket jar is a good idea,off to look at that!) xx
    Thank you again x x x

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. BoudiccaJones

I can be so clumsy with words. Forgive me...didn't mean to imply that *box* was a waste of time, I just mean I looked for box but didn't think it was a box per se but looked already at that x x x

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is from Kashmir, NW India, so try Kashmir or Kashmiri brass as well.

7. BoudiccaJones

Thank you friends! Off to look x x x

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lathe turned, that is why you see those rings.

9. BoudiccaJones

I did think so but wasn't sure if a metal tool thing would be called a lathe but it must be then,so, thank you xxxx
    (Edit: I didn't actually know it was turned, I just knew from reading on here that a machine was involved because of the circles xxx)
    I wanted to look for a machine that would do it but wasn't sure if it was called a lathe as it wasn't wood x

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Hi Boud. Yes, “turned” on an engine lathe, most peeps just say lathe but technically since it probably was powered by an electric motor, is an engine lathe. The maker was using a dull cutting tool in his lathe, you can tell because of the roughness of the cut on the bottom. The dimple in the center is from where he drilled a conical hole to fit on the lathe’s “center,” a strong, sharp-pointed steel piece that is cranked into that dimple to hold one end of the workpiece in place but allowing it to revolve.

11. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Here’s a pic showing part of a lathe (the shiny steel stuff) with a wood and brass workpiece in it. The center is steel pointy thing on right, the chuck is large steel cylinder on left, the three jaws move “in” when a chuck wrench (not shown) is turned clockwise in square hole on top.

27C02AFE-DB39-4FD2-95B4-E638F9CBA5EB.png

13. BoudiccaJones

That is fascinating. Thank you so much. I only knew it was done on a machine thing from reading on here,so I am learning!

14. BoudiccaJones

15. BoudiccaJones

Now that is so helpful for me. I could not *quite* see in my head how it would work. Absolutely invaluable image,and now I understand <3
    Well worth the 50p investment for the information!

Thank you everyone <3

Draft saved Draft deleted