Brass candlesticks can't find anything on them any ideas

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by jakes vintage, Nov 22, 2016.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

My friends are wondering about these and without any marks my resources are exhausted any ideas.? They are 8 inches high and the base is 3.5 inches wide
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

3. jakes vintage

Lol I figured the bradley on there was from the previous owner

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's what I think, jake. Previous owner, nothing to do with maker.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hence,the "maybe" ! :) But they did do a lot of stuff quite similar to this.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These are not B&H. I think probably European gilt bronze and certainly antique. Possibly even 18th century. Hate to even hazard a guess beyond that, as this is so way out of my league.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Brass doesn't crack like that, generally, unless it's been around a while. That delicate casting makes me think they're pretty darned old too. Modern casting generally isn't that finely done.

8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I think they call it 'season cracking' or something. Basically the brass or bronze or whatever the hell it is, corrodes, and it splits from age.

That being the case, these would be pretty damn old. Cracking like that doesn't happen overnight.

My limited knowledge of different styles makes me think these are Art Nouveau, which would date them to around 1890-1910-ish, but they may very well be much older. I think they're very pretty! :)

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I've been admiring these candlesticks also. I haven't any answer for you, but only how my mind worked on seeing them.

My first reaction was rococo with those candle cups. Rococo candle cups look like they are missing a bobeche. I'm not sure what the design is on the cups. Is it shells and scrolls? The stem doesn't say rococo. Then there are the bases. Usually rococo bases have extravagant relief designs. Example:

rococo.jpg

Nowww the **bottoms** of the bases are unusual. The shape slightly very slightly resembles early northern European; however, they tended to have mid drip pans and not as ornate. Spanish sticks tended to be ornate and had similar bases to Northern Europe for the style moved north from Spain. The stems have me thrown. Can't find any like them.

--- Susan

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those nuts on the bottom are not like anything i've ever seen.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen them, so they may well be from this side of the pond.

komokwa likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Jake, did your friends purchase these? I see somebody holding a purse standing behind them in the first photo... and also a string as if from a price tag.

Although I don't own many candlesticks, these are so beautiful that I'd buy them.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if they weren't originally ecclesiastical; the design reminds me of pieces from church altars.

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Those cracks are from the sheet metal being stressed from pressing. Not too old.

15. jakes vintage

Ye
    Yes that's actually the friend in the picture the got them at a church bizarre $3.00 for the pair

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

They're lovely and I agree that the fine detail hints to older. People sometimes think that older items should look more primitive whereas the opposite is generally true - they took more care back then. (I have safety pins hanging off my purse as well :))

DragonflyWink likes this.