Brass Cherub Candlesticks, Antique?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by jakes vintage, Feb 8, 2018.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

I don't usually mess with brass items but these appeared to have some age to them. What do you guys think? The both stand 11.5" tall.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Not sure cherubs have boobs and bums like that. Think they might be cheap mid century Asia somewhere but could be wrong.
    Cheers
    Stephen

judy and CheersDears like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think if they were really antique the putti wouldn't be wearing pareos. Might be a bowdlerized knockoff of ones that were genuinely old.

judy and CheersDears like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Some age, but not enough age. Old bronzes have a smooth surface. I agree with the others, copies or something in the vein of.
    Items like these used to be made a lot in Greece, a source of fakes in the 1970s and 80s.
    The 'pareos' are not that unusual, especially for 19th century ones (which these aren't). Many prudes at that time.

These are similar to yours, but better quality. Seller says 1920s. Yours are much more recent.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/481297...ch_query=putti+candlestick&ref=sr_gallery-1-8

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Thank you guys

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted