Brass Door knocker from Havana Cuba

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by TheShekles, Nov 20, 2019.

1. TheShekles

TheShekles New Member

C53AA8AE-AD03-4DBA-B7A5-181510787FAA.jpeg BEDC208A-7D59-45AA-9138-FF17E3FDC8FE.jpeg 95C8A6EA-3E95-4E92-8128-78C528FAB1CB.jpeg I purchased this door knocker in my travels in Cuba it may be brass or iron. It appears very old and is quite heavy. It has makers marks on the bottom one that appears to be an 11 with a small c or crescent moon and the other than is an anchor with a C on the left and and F on the right. Any ideas on age or maker? I am assuming it’s of Spanish origin and the ring on the finger seems to indicate homage to the king.
    Thanks for any help!

2. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@TheShekles - A magnet will leave no doubt.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice find, TheShekles, and welcome.
    Hand shaped door knockers are mostly seen in southern Europe, where the hand is thought to protect the house (like hand charms, worn to protect the wearer).
    The ring indicates it is a lady's hand. Hands with rings are also found in non-Spanish countries, so no link with the king of Spain.
    It could have been Cuban made, since the Spanish brought their customs with them.

shallow_ocean_spectre and Sandra like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In Spain, those are called "la mano de Fátima" or "Fátima's hand" door knockers. Typically Spanish. Depends on whether Cuba had a foundry but I'd suspect Spanish in origin. They're common, even old ones, and reproductions available. Should be brass.

Debora

images.jpg

Fid and shallow_ocean_spectre like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I have seen them in Portugal, southern France, Italy and Malta as well. Maybe you can find them in other southern European countries as well, but I just didn't look at door knockers when I was there.

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this may be too small for a door knocker. Maybe just a cabinet pull.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They come in a range of sizes. This one just a bit larger than key hole escutcheon.

Debora

9abcd8210e6cafa06a3f26ecb6f30bff--letter-boxes-door-furniture.jpg

8. TheShekles

TheShekles New Member

Thank you all for the feedback and knowledge sharing. Very interesting about the ladies hand and the Spanish name.

It’s magnetic so likely iron rather than brass and certainly a door knocker not a drawer pull.

9. TheShekles

TheShekles New Member

If anyone knows anyone who might be able to identify these hallmarks please let me know 122B2948-CE6F-4F1A-8FAD-F8A149B220D1.jpeg

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. Any Jewelry

Amazing, Debora.
    I would also think Shekles' is older. Maybe someone can find more info on the history of the foundry, and maybe the marks.

TheShekles likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Any Jewelry, TheShekles and SBSVC like this.
  13. TheShekles

TheShekles New Member

Increíble!! Debora that’s amazing

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/