Featured Brass & Glass Ring / wreath brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Mar 6, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This brooch was in my latest job lot of bits for spares & repairs.
    Ring brooch is apparently too wide a search term and the replaced/repaired clasp is thwarting me further :confused:
    So, any ideas please of date or clues to origin to get me on the right track would be appreciated please.
    Thankyou for looking :)

D12E3DC9-4853-42C0-8035-C823CB08704E.jpeg

6C886BA6-D4BC-49FF-AB39-EFD303C65A32.jpeg D91D1A85-CF39-4026-B29F-41A43868B775.jpeg E543F9D1-1A02-49E0-B3BD-21112044B80D.jpeg 92782131-AFC9-4F89-8902-1D87902B614E.jpeg 74AF6846-66A0-4F80-BE2C-83A831EC2FC3.jpeg 4B154247-89BC-4CCF-AFCA-690A7CFC7C36.jpeg

TraceyB, kyratango, elarnia and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, K, love the detail and the subtle glass decoration.:)
    Can't help you with the origin though.:( Renaissance Revival-ish?

Are you going to make it look beautiful again? It deserves it. Looks like the decorated part with the scrolling is silver tone, did you test it?
    That looks strange, as if someone wanted to turn it into a pendant but forgot to remove the pin. Does it close?
    And then there are those other marks, maybe it was part of a buckle originally?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :)
    No, I’ll do that if I can get a mark on the stone as the inset bits are quite deep.
    I hope so. About to get the baby toothbrush out and try not to dislodge any more of those gems. Then to find some matching!.

TraceyB and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes
    Good thinking, it could be!.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The hinge and clasp are1910s or 20s , but I agree, it's been altered. Someone has also scratch tested it. I wonder if it isn't gilded silver. I'd also be testing those stones. It has the look of one of a pair of Georgian shoe buckles possibly. I also think it had a centre plaque, maybe enamel.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same about the front.
    There does seem to be a ridge that a plaque could sit on.

TraceyB, kyratango and KSW like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can easily be way off base, but that somehow makes me think of a Scottish Kilt pin...... THAT will be gorgeous once you get some nice stones back in it, no matter WHAT kind of pin it is!!!!!!:):)

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You are both right. I managed to get a very tiny scrape onto the stone and it does test as silver with 18ct acid. All the rest tests as a base metal.
    The gems test as glass which for once I think Mary is right.
    Yes, the centre could feasibly have had something in it as it appears to get slightly narrower towards the back.
    I will look out for something pretty to go in the middle!.
    Any suggestions as to what could have been in the centre- what was in style?

TraceyB likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I am wondering if the ones that are left are a bit ‘dead’ and I should replace them all?

TraceyB likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I'd think either perhaps a jasperware plaque or some kind of Bilston enamel one?

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hmm, two things I almost certainly haven’t got!.
    I’ll search through the hoard to see what I can find.

TraceyB likes this.
  12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

That’s all I could think about when I saw your brooch KSW!
    3E46C044-96CE-45F8-B5CF-9B4703B210FF.jpeg

Aquitaine, TraceyB, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:hilarious: Classy Jammy Dodgers!

TraceyB and kyratango like this.
  14. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

That's where my mind went also. (Piero di Cosimo).
    Piero di Cosimo.jpg

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Google tells me the Renaissance revival thingy went on for quite a few years in different countries- what rough period are you thinking?
    Pretty :)

16. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

That is a very interesting and lovely piece! Yes, I'm leaning toward perhaps Scottish and can see a large stone set in it. Would love to see the finished piece!

Cheerio Leslie

17. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Dit seems it was already a brooch before! They put the replacements opposite to the existing removed to get a flat surface for soldering. You can improve the look of the back by polishing strongly.
    The center held what may have been a blood jasper, I saw that mixed with garnets (yours are probably pastes...).
    I think it is Victorian 1870s, and eventually candidate for a dip in dawn dish soap or something with ammonia to clean the oxydation in recessed areas.
    Finding the replacement stones maybe difficult, but replacing all with unfoiled rhinestones of the right size set upside down can be a feasible option:)
    What size are the whole piece, the garnet pastes and the center space?

Draft saved Draft deleted