Brass, glass top end tables information needed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Isaiah Merritt, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Isaiah Merritt

Isaiah Merritt New Member

Hello all!
    In an attempt to furnish our new house my wife and I picked up a set of two end tables and a coffee table from this nice couple that was downsizing. Pictures below.

I started doing some research about these tables, which don't seem to be branded in any way that I have seen, but I did find a few auctions for tables that looked very similar to the ones we have. One is listed for sale here with good pictures: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-Centur...403518?hash=item421011307e:g:vMMAAOSwwUJeF0aM

More Pictures from various online sources:

The difference being, the ones we have, in the first set of pictures, have plastic caps on the ends of the brass base, and the pieces of that base are held together with allen screws. The tables listed for sale online that claim a manufacture date in the seventies seem to be welded or brazed together on the base. I guess my question is, are the tables we have possibly some sort of late model reproduction of the vintage pieces? Any thoughts would be helpful. It is my first post here so let me know if I should put up better pics or explain myself better.

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Your gallery pictures must be set to 'private' because the only one that I can click on without an error message is the first one that is showing in this post.

3. Isaiah Merritt

Ahh, yeah. Rookie move. I believe I fixed it now.

4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

These tables look like late 1980's to me

komokwa likes this.
  5. Isaiah Merritt

That would make sense as well, the ones we have don't have any noticeable oxidation on the brass anywhere that I have seen.

6. wiscbirddog

I'm by no means an expert on these tables, but I think they are high quality due to the thick glass & beveled edges.

Love 'em! Hope you got a great deal - enjoy.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Isaiah Merritt

I think we paid $70 for the two end tables and a coffee table. We like them a lot. It's fun to try to find out the story behind the older stuff Thanks for the reply!

anundverkaufen and Figtree3 like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

Awesome deal IMHO. :jawdrop:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

are the tables we have possibly some sort of late model reproduction of the vintage pieces?

I'm gonna speculate , yes.
    The end caps....screws.....and I get the feeling the tubing is brass..colored metal....not solid brass. IMO...

The thick glass is nice....but the bevel just makes it a little more expensive..

Isaiah Merritt likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

11. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Lot of reproductions out there since Mid Century Modern and Hollywood Regency have become so popular. I generally don't find folks on 1stDibs to be overly knowledgeable. They prices are also so inflated because of the percentage they have to pay to the storefront. Any time I see plastic 'caps', I tend to think repro. They still have a fantastic look and definitely worth the money you paid.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sure sign of a later knock-off and likely an overseas import. Probably not later production by the same company.

komokwa likes this.
  13. Isaiah Merritt

That seems to be about what I expected. We got them in the first place because we liked the look so we will definitely enjoy them for what they are. I really appreciate all the responses. First post on this forum and the activity has been phenomenal.

laura9797 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted