Brass gong from Java?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jennifer Plesman Jackson, May 9, 2019.

1. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Jennifer Plesman Jackson Kees’ daughter

10”x5”. No markings on the back. From my mom and dad’s collection of random things. :)

3A555F0C-DF10-442E-82D9-491488938702.jpeg 5ADD2AC9-8B83-4E23-A5FC-5D6609CFF26D.jpeg
    2502D4DB-F9B7-483F-92F0-3D25CED0C1E5.jpeg FA65C494-7055-4E45-BA3A-2570B938CAF6.jpeg 30EB9768-70B0-4804-860C-AD54B7D8299C.jpeg

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Your parents were fun people.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Kiko -- took the words right out of my mouth!

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I hesitate to put in my two bits, because @Any Jewelry will bring much more information. :) But the engraved figures are wayang puppets, which would support an Indonesian origin.

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

My dad was definitely the fun one!!! I don’t know which pieces they were, but when he was stationed in Tokyo, he would bring all kinds of things home that people had left on the airplane. He was head of the maintenance section. I don’t think it is all of their things but quite a few pieces. Being Dutch, and VERY frugal, I don’t think they would buy most of these things. Perhaps they were gifts as they traveled. I really don’t know!!! Many pieces I have and am keeping are commemorative KLM pieces for “number of years in business” but a lot of those are Delft. I think I have 50 KLM houses (the little liquor bottles)... I need a bigger house but that’s not an option!!!

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

randomly NICE !!!!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If all the passengers were Dutch, it makes perfect sense that an Indonesian piece would turn up.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is from Java, and a very nice one, with a Garuda shaped wall piece. Garuda is a powerful eagle-like bird from Hindu mythology.
    As 2many said, two wayang figures, one with a keris(!). Top and bottom are stylized lotus motifs, for purity and spiritual development.

10. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

AJ, thank you so very much for taking the time to comment on all of these wonderful things my parents collected. The sad thing is that in 1973, my dad retired from KLM after 43 years. They left Tokyo with an incredible collection of artifacts and furniture destined for California. At the Oregon/California border, the United moving van that had their things in it was broken into. It was a huge 18 wheeler semi and my parent’s things were at the back - where the doors were. It was a federal crime since it was interstate but I don’t think they ever caught the culprits. About 1/3 of my parent’s things were stolen. I lost a 10 year Japanese stamp collection of every first issue. I’m sure a bunch of other precious things were lost as well. I hadn’t thought about that in a long time...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Argggh! I've heard of that happening.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is terrible, Jennifer, and I am sorry this period of sorting things and talking about it brought it back to you. But there are so many good memories as well, and the fact that you put 'Kees' daughter' with your aviation avatar picture speaks of such love between you and your father. That is wonderful to see.

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the stories here... and this gong!