Brass inlaid tray -Patent 6886 – need some patent searching help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Miscstuff, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Got this Graeco-Roman (?) brass and silver(??) inlaid copper serving tray with only a patent mark to tell me who made it and possibly when. Not sure if it is silver or white metal or plated as it is a frosty silver colour and I’m reluctant to test it with acid or polish it. The patina is nice but it would have looked quite spectacular when new and shiny. The back has glue (?) residue and may have been mounted to a polished wooden plinth with brass feet etc but that has long gone. Some one has drilled two tiny holes and fixed picture wire for wall mounting which may be its only use now.

I suspect the patent number may relate to the central design being made separately and then soldered to the main plate as the back seems to show this. Tried searching for the patent number and don’t think it is American as 6886 seems to be an iron foundry thingy. Tried the British library but their website seems to have been designed by a committee of committees and is the most helpful unhelpful website I have ever encountered. Could some one who knows how to navigate their website please check patent number 6886 for me?

If that turns up a blank then I’m not sure where to search. I’m hoping this is an 1860s Graeco-Roman revival item but there have been several revivals and modern imitations of them.

Data

61cm x 40cm x 3.5cm 4.5Kg

Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would say it is more art nouveau in sensibility, certainly not neoclassical or archeological/Etruscan revival. Not sure what that ways about where or when made.

Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.