Brass lamp

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by MIRED, Jun 21, 2020.

1. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Hi, This is a brass lamp, possibly converted from a vase? Guessing it's been in family for 50 years or more. Looks like Arabic engraving? Wondering if it is Mid Eastern, Islamic? It's 28" tall and 7" diameter across base. Appreciate any info about it and any ballpark guess as to its value as a donation. Thanks much! IMG_6771.JPG IMG_6773.JPG IMG_6774.JPG IMG_6775.JPG IMG_6776.JPG IMG_6778.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks Turkish to me, and it was most likely made that way, but inspired by a vase shape. Turkey used to have Arabic script, and it is still used on traditional style decorative items like this.

MIRED and sabre123 like this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Get it translated before donation, maybe interesting, magic spell, gift from famous Emir?

sabre123 likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Probably Quranic quotes, like the names of Allah, 'The Merciful', etc.

MIRED likes this.
  5. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark on guessing value. I was giving away several lamps, including this one, when someone who took another lamp recommended I don't give this one away because it was "valuable". Just don't want the animal charity where I'll be donating to lose out. Like under $100, under $500, more and worth getting appraised? Thanks for the above help too!

6. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

It is not converted, it always was an electric lamp. Look on the bright side scrap brass is about $1.50 per pound.

7. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thanks David. I'll let the charity decide then and take anything they can get.

8. Any Jewelry

Because someone talked about scrap value?:confused: Scrap value is for people who buy and sell metal. This is a handcrafted item with real decorative value.
    Why don't you look for similar 'vintage handmade Turkish brass lamps' on ebay, and then decide?

9. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thanks @anyjewelry! I too would never consider scrapping something this old, handcrafted and special. I just took it to mean it wasn't worth much. I have scoured Ebay for months but can't find anything very similar and prices there range from about $10-200. 1st dibs has more similar items under "islamic metalwork" and Turkish brass lamps selling for $1000-4000. I was hoping someone knowledgeable might be able to advise where along that range this might go. I really don't want to pay to get it appraised just so I can donate it - I put in enough blood, sweat and tears as it is. The worst that will happen is the charity thrift will underprice it and someone will get a good deal. Most importantly it will have a good home.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I'm sure it will.
    I have no idea of values, sorry.

MIRED likes this.
  11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I like it, if it were at an auction I’d bid up to $75. It’d fit in with the Islamic brass trays I’ve collected. So if your charity is thinking of selling for less and can pack it for shipping they should get in touch, if they are in the US.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thanks @springfield.arsenal that's good to know. And yes in Los Angeles.

Any Jewelry likes this.