Brass Port Lantern-- actually older or a reproduction?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This has been a bit of a stumper. Decided to take a chance for $20, figured worst case its a learning experience.

Got home and figured out it was a port lantern. HOWEVER, there are many reproductions of this kind of thing out there. Was stunned to see so many, same exact glass, etc. So far the reproductions I've seen have had the actual word "PORT" on the top, mine does not. Also mine has some genuine signs of wear inside the piece, the reflector inside is completely rusted, etc. Outside does not have huge signs of wear, just some oxidation. No markings anywhere.

What do you think??

ship2.jpg ship3g.jpg ship4.jpg ship6.jpg ship7.jpg ship8.jpg ship3.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  2. Lucille.b

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The tree design would be a flag for me.
    I don't think it is an antique lamp. Maybe older than the ones you are finding on line. Guessing 10-20 years old.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think old, but worth more than you paid, anyhow.

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It looks to me like it could be a "real" one, that is, sold at a chandlery for actual use on a boat ..too bad the burner is missing though ..not sure on age, not new for sure but not back in the "arr ..Jim Lad ...have ya ever been to sea Billy" days either:p

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

The tree design gave me pause as well, but some of the older "sold" ones on Ebay have the same tree design. These first two are very similar in style, but are painted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ge...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triplex-19...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Still researching this. The amount of rust on that inner piece -- almost completely rusted through, is the one reason I'm wondering. But I'm also not ruling out newer.

Thanks!

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not ruling out..........it's very handsome !!
    Lovely find !!!:happy::happy:

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

More pictures if helpful. Planning to move this out, was not to keep. But don't want to under sell or over sell. DH says "its soldered", but maybe a new one would be as well.

One thing that bothered me was that the burner is this shiny metal where as the exterior of the lantern is more dull.

Is that orange colored oxidation any kind of clue?

@terry5732

Any additional thoughts? Thanks!

alan3.jpg alan4.jpg alan5.jpg alan6.jpg alan7.jpg alan8.jpg alan55.jpg alan999.jpg

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like the thing say in some water.....or wet basement...
    the burner is inside sheltered from weather.....that would explain the color difference............. IMM..

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

This is from the second link you posted. After enlarging one of the pictures, I see it isn't a tree. More link the shape of an insulator or lantern.
    upload_2019-11-13_22-20-13.png

11. clutteredcloset49

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Having a real fresnel lens will indicate it's a real one..... you rarely see these lenses on the newer repros from Asia, though real ships lights were made in China in the 1950's-60's for actual maritime use . The form of this lantern is old, 1910-1940's.

komokwa likes this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Lucille.b - it may be long gone by this time but you have more information here.

Draft saved Draft deleted