Featured Bretby vases and bookends Art Nouveau

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

I saw these today in my local antiques centre. I think I'm going to buy the lot next time I go if they're still they're.

I can't find a mention of any of these anywhere. The seller said they cannot find them either in collectors books or elsewhere.

The large vase with two small vases and a Ewer jug are red with Insects applied, grasshoppers and moths. The other pair are what I think are two bookends but may be a pair of vases. They look like a cat and dog with cauldrons by them.

Sorry about the terrible images. The pieces can still be seen luckily in these for research purposes.

They are all fabulous, I'm dumbfounded that I can't find them anywhere online.

IMG_20191118_144558.jpg IMG_20191118_145854.jpg IMG_20191118_144544.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id buy them ! I love the red ones especially !

3. Nathan Lindop

They aren't dirt cheap. They wanted £200 for all the insect range. And £50 for the bookends.

I'll definately go for the bookends but it's only the vases I'm unsure about. Are they worth so much.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Bookends look to be resin.

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If your intention is to resell I'd pass on both. If your going to keep then go for it.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of Bretby. Had to look it up.
    Are the pieces you show, marked on the bottom?
    Found this suppose to be a mark. Do the bottoms look like this?
    The reason I ask, it is very hard to see your pictures with the glass reflection. My first impression on the red vases, was Vietnamese pottery.
    upload_2019-11-18_8-37-21.png

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be wary. That's expensive for Bretby and the bookends worry me.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love the sang de boeuf set, but that sounds like waay too much money.
    I'm with rink, the bookends look like resin.

9. Nathan Lindop

The red vases do have a style that resembles the glazes that ruskin pottery often has, so that may be where the Asian influence comes in, as well as the insect motifs being part of Asian art and seen in English art Nouvea pieces.

Bretby were a big company in England. You see a lot of their 1880-1930 pieces around at auctions and centres. I'm not sure about how common they are worldwide.

Sang de boeuf! A word I haven't used before but will now haha. The bookends were pottery. Bretby are well known for they're brown and cream wares that look like this, usually they had oriental scenes on them.

Bretby can get some good prices, all depends on rarity and at the minute these seems extraordinarily rare.

10. Nathan Lindop

The Sang de boeuf glaze will be part of why they look Asian.

11. Any Jewelry

Yes, and the insects too.

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

As did the French.

13. Any Jewelry

Yes, as part of the Japonaiserie and Chinoiserie styles of the late 19th century. In England that would probably be part of the Aesthetic style.

14. Nathan Lindop

So many of the styles within the art nouveau timescale overlap haha.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  15. Nathan Lindop

One small update, found somebody who sold them with brilliant images. They don't remember what price them sold them for. Likewise they also didn't know a great deal about the pieces.

They went with Jardinieres not bookends

FB_IMG_1574169293604.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted